Subject: FITSIO on PC's

From: dja at star.ac.bham.ac.uk (David Allan)
Date: 6 Dec 1994 10:11:13 GMT

I am trying to use FITSIO on an PC. I can build simple programs which fit into
the 550K conventional memory available on my machine. What I would like to do 
is build Windows applications using the Microsoft Fortran QUICKWIN interface,
or link C programs to the Fortran using a DLL. I have no problems constructing
either alternative, but the former fails to run the test1 program with an error
which disappears immediately before I can read it, and the latter fails with a
GP fault when the DLL is loaded. I feel the first solution is most likely to 
work as the test2 program appears to start up ok. The DLL approach seems doomed
to failure as Micro soft place restrictions on the use of assumed length
character strings in Fortran modules inside DLLs.

My question:

As anyone built a complex FITSIO based program on a PC, with an executable size
bigger than 640K. If so, how did you do it (link & compile options etc).

David Allan

David J. Allan         | School of Physics and Space Research  dja at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham              
Tel : 0121-414-3655    | Edgbaston                             
FAX : 0121-414 3722    | Birmingham B15 5TT