Subject: A Family of FITS viewers for Windows, Apple, X-Windows

From: bcotton at nrao.edu (Bill Cotton)
Date: 15 Jan 1996 21:00:26 GMT

A Family of FITS viewers for Windows, Apple, X-Windows
			   January 15, 1996

   This is to announce the availability of a family of FITS viewers
for a variety of computing platforms.   These viewers feature
manipulation of the display (brightness, contrast, pseudo color), zoom
and scroll, blinking images for comparison, displaying 3-D images as a
"movie", and determining the celestial position and brightness of
features in the image.  Celestial positions are determined using world
coordinate projections (WCS).  All defined FITS data types are
supported (8, 16, 32 bit integers and 32 and 64 bit IEEE), as are
blanked pixels.  Two and three dimensional simple FITS images are
supported.  In addition, gzip compressed files may be read directly.
The MS-Windows version (FITSview) has been in use since 1994.
Extensive online documentation is included.  

   The FITSview family includes the following products:

FITSview 1.0

   FITSview runs on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 and uses any multicolor
(or multiple gray level) display although 256 color displays give the best
results.  This is an upgrade of the previous release. 

MacFITSView 1.0

   MacFITSview runs on Apple Macintosh computers and should run under
System 7.0 and later.  256 color displays give the best results.

XFITSview 0.1 (beta)

   XFITSview runs on Unix/X-Windows systems and requires the use of
Motif.  This version is distributed as source with binaries for
selected systems. 

   All of these are available at no cost via anonymous ftp server
fits.cv.nrao.edu:

 FITSview for Windows:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsv10.txt
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsv10.zip

 MacFITSview:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview
    The executable for the Power PC is MacFITSview.PPC and for older
    Macs is MacFITSview.68k.  Test FITS files are also included.
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview.MacFITSview.PPC
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/mac-os/macfitsview.MacFITSview.68K

 XFITSview:
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/unix/xfitsview/
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/unix/xfitsview/XFITSview0.1.tar.gz
    This gzipped tar archive contains the source for building XFITSview.

bcotton at nrao.edu

--
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA