Subject: WCSLIB 2.3

From: Mark Calabretta <mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 13:51:12 +1000

Release 2.3 of WCSLIB is now available via anonymous ftp from

   ftp.atnf.csiro.au:/pub/software/wcslib/wcslib-2.3.tar.gz

Change logs for the C and FORTRAN libraries are appended.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C library
=========

WCSLIB version 2.3
------------------

* Fixed two bugs in zpnset() reported by David Berry (dsb at ast.man.ac.uk).  The
  first led to an incorrect determination of the degree of the polynomial and
  would mainly have affected the efficiency of zpnrev().  The second affected
  the determination of the boundary of the projection but would only have been
  significant for projections with a point of inflection between 9 and 10
  degrees of the pole.

* Replaced usage of alloca() in lin.c with malloc() and free() for portability
  as suggested by Klaus Banse, ESO (kbanse at eso.org).

* Allow for C implementations which provide their own versions of cosd(),
  sind(), tand(), acosd(), asind(), atand(), and atan2d().  From Klaus Banse,
  ESO (kbanse at eso.org).  

* Implemented the CUBEFACE axis for quadcube projections.

* Made all function prototypes const-correct.

* Adapted the header files to C++ usage.

* Added a new test program, twcs1, to verify closure of wcsfwd() and
  wcsrev().  The old twcs test program is now called twcs2.

* Added external arrays of error messages indexed by function return value.
  For example, extern const char *wcsmix_errmsg[] for wcsmix().  Messages for
  the many proj.c functions are in prjfwd_errmsg[], etc.

WCSLIB version 2.2
------------------

* Amended the projection equations for the conics (COP, COD, COE, COO) and
  Bonne's projection (BON) to correctly handle southern hemisphere projections
  with PROJP1 < 0 (reported by Lindsay Davis, NOAO).  Revised tproj1 and
  tproj2 to test such cases.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORTRAN library
===============

WCSLIB version 2.3
------------------
 
* Implemented the CUBEFACE axis for quadcube projections.

* Added a new test program, TWCS1, to verify closure of WCSFWD and WCSREV.
  The old TWCS test program is now called TWCS2.

WCSLIB version 2.2
------------------

* Amended the projection equations for the conics (COP, COD, COE, COO) and
  Bonne's projection (BON) to correctly handle southern hemisphere projections 
  with PROJP1 < 0 (reported by Lindsay Davis, NOAO).  Revised TPROJ1 and
  TPROJ2 to test such cases.

* Increased the dimension of the WCS array from WCS(0:2) to WCS(0:3) to allow
  for future handling of the CUBEFACE keyword - WCS(3) will store an index to
  the CUBEFACE axis.  This affects the call sequences of WCSSET, WCSFWD,
  WCSREV, and WCSMIX.