Subject: FITSWCS: Java implementation of WCSLIB

From: Ray Plante <rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 00:15:44 -0500

The FITSWCS Java Package, a translation of Mark Calabretta's WCSLIB 
into Java, is now available for general use.  Like WCSLIB, FITSWCS 
provides the basic transformations prescribed by the FITS WCS draft 
by Greisen and Calabretta
(ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/wcs/wcs.all.ps.Z).

The package is available through two distributions.  It can be obtained
as part of the standard WCSLIB distribution (as of V. 2.4) from the 
following locations:

       Australia:     ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/software/wcslib/
       USA (mirror):  http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/src/wcs/

It can be also be obtained by itself from 

    ftp://imagelib.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/java.  

The FITSWCS package was put together as part of Project Horizon (a NASA
Cooperative Agreement with the University of Illinois) in cooperation
with the NCSA Astronomy Digital Image Library.  We are currently 
developing a generalized Java package for browsing multidimensional
scientific data in a variety of formats (including FITS and HDF)
origninating from the network or local disk.  To find out more about
this work, refer to the Horizon Package home page:

    http://imagelib.ncsa.uiuc.edu/imagelib/Horizon