Subject: FTOOLS 3.6 now available

From: William Pence <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 17:05:20 -0500

FTOOLS  VERSION 3.6  DISTRIBUTION

     A new release of the FTOOLS software package is now publicly
available.  FTOOLS is a package of more than 200 data analysis programs
and Perl and Tcl scripts that operate on FITS format data files.  Some
of these tasks are very general and may be used on any FITS format
file.  Of special note in this release is a new FITS file browser
called 'fv' with a graphical interface written in Tcl/Tk.  Other FTOOLS
tasks are designed to perform specific data reduction or analysis
procedures on data files from the ROSAT, ASCA, XTE, CGRO and other
astrophysics X-ray and Gamma-ray satellites. 

     The FTOOLS software is supported on most current workstations
(including the linux operating system on a PC) and can be built either
as a set of stand-alone programs or as a package under IRAF.  This
software is freely available from the High Energy Astrophysics Science
Archive Research Center (HEASARC) on the WWWeb at:

          http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools

or via Anonymous FTP from legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov in directory:

          software/ftools/release/FTools_3.6 

     Documentation about FTOOLS is available in the Installation Guide,
the User's Guide, and the Developer's Guide, which are all available
from the same locations.  Any questions about FTOOLS should be directed
to ftoolshelp at athena.gsfc.nasa.gov.