Subject: Re: FITS I/O classes for GSC viewer

From: Nicolas Devillard <ndevilla at eso.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:45:45 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, octavi wrote:
[...]
> Does anybody know some classes for Visual C++ able to read and write
> this kind of image format?

About the FITS format itself, check:
FITS archive at NRAO
http://fits.nrao.edu
Contains many links to FITS software.

AIPS develops and distributes C++ classes to read/write/handle FITS
format, the source code is available here:
http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/src/

Even better: an ANSI C library to do exactly the same, check out:
FITSIO home page
http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/fitsio/

If you are looking for basic sets of functionalities to work with FITS
files, here are 2 software sets which may help:

FTOOLS: a general package of software to manipulate FITS files
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/ftools/ftools_menu.html

ECLIPSE: ESO C Library for an Image Processing Environment
http://www.eso.org/~ndevilla/adonis/eclipse

> Or, even better, does anybody know some
> source code that could help me into develop this GSC viewer.

Check out the StarCat home page:
http://archive.eso.org/starcat/

Hope it helps,
--Nicolas
 ____________________________________________________________________
/\                                                                   \
\_| Nicolas Devillard               |    E-mail:  nDevil at eso.org      |
  | European Southern Observatory,  |    http://www.eso.org/~ndevilla |
  | Karl-Schwarzschild-Str. 2,      |    Phone:  +49 89 320-06-340    |
  | D-85748 Garching, Germany       |    Fax  :  +49 89 320-06-358    |
  |   ________________________________________________________________|_
  \_/__________________________________________________________________/