Subject: Re: Fits to JPEG or GIF

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:53:22 +0200

On 22 Apr 1997, Dana Irvin wrote:

> Does anyone have or know of any apps that convert FITS images to JPEG or
> GIF images? I need to to make an online image archive.

If you can display them on the screen using any astronomical software
(MIDAS, IRAF, SAOimage, IDL), you can then use "xv" to capture a GIF dump
of the window (or portion of it).
IDL can also read a dump of the current plot device (use Z buffer if you
are not at an X-capable console) and output it as GIF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)      
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuscim donca de Miragn        E tornem a sta scio' in Bregn                 
Che i fachign e i cortesagn   Magl' insema no stagn begn                    
Drizza la', compa' Tapogn                            (Rabisch, II 41, 96-99)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------