Subject: fv version 2.0 is available

From: pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Pence)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 17:03:51 -0400

Fv 2.0 Release Announcement
                            6 May 1997

Version 2.0 of fv, a standalone Tcl/Tk program for viewing and editing
any FITS format data file, is now available from the HEASARC (High
Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center) at NASA/GSFC.  The
fv software distribution ships with everything you need to build (i.e.
you do not need Tcl/Tk already installed on your machine).  Fv has the
following features:

   - A summary window lists the contents and size of all the
     extensions in the FITS file.

   - FITS headers may be displayed in a scrolling text window.  
     Keywords may be edited, inserted, or deleted, and an ASCII
     text listing of the header may be generated.

   - FITS images may be displayed with the usual pan, zoom, and color
     table manipulation facilities.  Users may choose to use the SAOtng
     image display tool (available separately from SAO), or the
     internal image display widget called POW that is supplied with fv.

   - Selected columns in a FITS table may be viewed in a scrolling spread
     sheet.  The values in the table may be edited, and rows and columns
     may be inserted or deleted in the table.  The contents of the table
     may be saved to an ASCII text file.

   - Line plots of one or more columns in a table may be generated.  
     Plots are displayed using the POW widget.  The user may then zoom 
     in on any area of interest in the plot. The plots may be saved and
     printed in postscript format.

Fv currently runs on many Unix platforms, including SUN O/S, SUN
Solaris, Dec OSF, and Linux PCs. (Versions for the Windows NT/95 and
Mac operating systems are under development).

Instructions for installing fv may be obtained from the Web site at:

         http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools/fv.html

Questions about fv should be sent to:  ftoolshelp at athena.gsfc.nasa.gov.

--------
The fv development team currently consists of:

    William Pence:  Project Scientist, author of CFITSIO
    Jianjun Xu:     Tcl/Tk programmer, author of fv and fitsTcl
    Lawrence Brown: Tcl/Tk programmer, author of POW