Subject: starting the discussion

From: Lucio Chiappetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 93 11:04:42 -0400

Being one of those who solicited to set up this list (although I delayed
subscribing because of some local rearrangements of our mail system ... but
I am being told I haven't missed anything), I'd like to make a proposal to
start with.

As some of you perhaps remember, I raised originally a question over WGAS
and FITSBITS about what is the "OGIP FITS" standard, and what is its scope,
and how standard approach are best handled for different missions in
different countries and agencies.

Perhaps a few people at GSFC and elsewhere should post to HEAFITS :

  - some general purpose statement about OGIP FITS and alike
  - some mission specific description of plans about data formats and
    structures (I was sent privately by Mike Corcoran a description
    about ROSAT, which I feel could be an useful "template", and I
    encourage to be publicly posted).
    Starting from that everybody (myself included) could send in a
    similar description.

  This way we could state what are common areas worth a standard approach,
  and what are not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The value of a dialogue depends mostly on the difference of concurrent
 opinions. If Babel tower were not there, we should have invented it."
                                                         Karl R. Popper
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR Milano        |         U N I C U I Q U E
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy    |          System  Manager
Internet: [email-masked]            |           FORTUNAE SUAE
Decnet:   IFCTR::LUCIO (39610::LUCIO)      |
Bitnet:   <please do not use any more>     |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------