Subject: attempt to get Ian George's memo via ftp ...

From: Lucio Chiappetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 93 12:13:21 -0400

Hello,
       I attempted a few days ago to retrieve ogip_93_001.ps from legacy.
Unfortunately the Postscript file makes reference to some macros produced
by the DVILaser software which are not included in the file itself, so I
could not print (or preview) it.

Now I decided to retrieve the TeX version of the same file and process it
myself. Unfortunately the ftp server on legacy is showing a very strange
behaviour :

  it displays a light-year-long welcome message (some 100 pages ? surely
  longer than the scroll size of my DECterm .. 500 lines) interrupted by
  an ftp> prompt.
  Any command I type has the result to continue the typing of the welcome
  message. I insisted with a pwd command until the welcome message finished,
  but then it looks like the ls and get command do not work.
  
Please let me know when it will be back in order.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------   
       A member of  G.ASS : Group for Astronomical Software Support             
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------   
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR Milano        |         U N I C U I Q U E          
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy    |          System  Manager           
Internet: [email-masked]            |           FORTUNAE SUAE            
Decnet:   IFCTR::LUCIO (39610::LUCIO)      |                                    
Bitnet:   <please do not use any more>     |                                    
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Scriptum :
Since one of our contractors told us they want to use DVILaser to produce
PostScript documents to be distributed over the network, and since this is
the first case I see of unprintable PostScript documents (I have sent and
retrieved ps files of many different origins without problems), I would like
to know whether there is an option to have the relevant macros included in
the file or somehow distributed (or are they proprietary ?)

Post Post Scriptum :
I'd like to know the trick you use to have ftp print a welcome message
(***but please**** DON'T make it THAT long !!!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce O'Neel)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 93 12:27:59 -0400

Hi,
>   but then it looks like the ls and get command do not work.

Put a - character as the first character of the password you type in.
This stops all the messages and makes our ftpd like a regular ftpd.
> (***but please**** DON'T make it THAT long !!!)

This is a replacment ftpd program which runs on (at least) on suns,
ultrix decstations, and Alpha OSF/1.  It probably runs on others.  It
is produced by the people at wuarchve.wustl.edu.  You can get it from 
ftp.uu.net:/networking/ftp/wu-ftpd-2.0.tar.Z.

bruce

p.s.  I thought this might interest others so I am sending to the
whole list....

-- 
                  =======================================
                  |       Warning:  File Corrupt!       |
                  |                                     |
                  |          [OK]   [CANCEL]            |
                  =======================================