Subject: OGIP/93-001 (Vers 1993 May 21) - The specification of unit strings

From: [email-masked] (Ian M George, Code 668, NASA/GSFC, USA (Usque ad mortem bibendum))
Date: Fri, 21 May 1993 14:45:30 -0400

As promised, the latest version of the OGIP memo (OGIP/93-001) listing
the OGIP-standard strings to specify physical units within FITS files
is now available. We believe we have successfully (?) addressed most 
of the issues/corncerns which were brought to our attention, and we 
thank you all for your comments. 

The major change compared to previous versions is that due to popular 
demand we now allow SI prefixes (with the drawback that the strings are 
now case sensitive).

The memo is available via anonymous ftp on legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov
(128.183.8.233) in the .caldb/docs/memos directory:
	ogip_93_001.tex		is the LaTeX source
	ogip_93_001.ps  	is a PS version of the complete doc.
				(I *think* it really is PS this time !)

Constructive comments are again welcomed (I suggest to heafits).
	[However due to pressing time constraints, it should be noted that 
	 the HEASARC is adopting this proposal in its current state.]

regards
Ian M George 			([email-masked])
Lorella Angelini		([email-masked])
HEASARC