Subject: Call for Vote on BINTABLE proposal

From: "Preben Grosbol <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 09:25:21 +0200

Garching, May 20, 1994

Dear IAU-FWG members,
 As there were no explicit requests to delay the vote on the BINTABLE
proposal due to the unsigned integer issue, I hereby call for your
vote on the main part of the proposal for a BINTABLE extension to FITS
(not including the appendices) with the following clarifications:

 The basic text of the proposal is available through anonymous ftp at
fits.cv.nrao.edu in the directory /fits/documents/proposals as files:
                145877 May 18  1993 bintable2.ps
                 38591 May 18  1993 bintable2.tex

 Clarifications:
    1) page 3, point 9, par. 2:
        'The number of bytes determined .. should equal NAXIS1 but NAXIS1
          should be used as the definition of the actual length of the row.'
       replaced by:
        'The number of bytes determined from summing the TFORMnnn values must
         equal NAXIS1.'
 
    2) page 4, point 2:
       The following sentence is added to the paragraph:
        'The default value for EXTVER should be 1.'

    3) page 5, point 6:
        'Note: TSCALnnn and TZEROnnn are not defined for A, L, P, or X 
         format fields.'
       replaced by:
        'Note: TSCALnnn and TZEROnnn are not defined for A, L, or X 
         format fields. For complex data types (C and M) TSCALnnn and
         TZEROnnn are the real part of the scaling and offset factors 
         and the imaginary part is 0. The anticipated meaning of TSCALnnn
         and TZEROnnn for P fields is described in Appendix A.'

    4) page 5, point 12:
       The following sentence is added to the paragraph:
        'This is the human or organization that collected the information
         given in this table.'

    5) page 5, point 1:
       The following sentence is added to the paragraph:
        'Any other values are illegal.'

Only the main part of the BINTABLE proposal (i.e. sections 1 to 8) is
to be voted on. The appendices are at this moment not considered.
Please also note that the clarification 3) has been extended to deal
with columns of complex type.

I ask you to submit (by e-mail to [email-masked]) your vote on the
BINTABLE proposal with a clear YES or NO.  The deadline for votes is:

                Friday, June 10, 1994, 18.00 GMT

You are welcome to submit votes earlier. I will remind you again a few
days before the deadline.

Best regards,

Preben Grosbol
Chairman, IAU FITS WG