Subject: BINTABLE paper ready for publication

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 15:41:53 EST

Dear Members of the IAU FITS Working Group,

The BINTABLE paper is ready to be submitted to A&A Supplement Series.
I have installed a copy of it (provided by Bill Cotton) into the FITS
archive, at

    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/standards/bintable_aa.ps.gz

The previous version, bintable3, the one which the IAU-FWG approved by
formal vote in June 1994 to beome a FITS standard, is now in directory

    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/documents/standards/bintable_old/

In addition to typesetting the document using the A&A macro package,
two changes have been made by the authors (Cotton, Tody, Pence): (1) a
new example header was substituted and (2) the wording of item_9 of
section_3 was corrected. The latter change is signalled in the new
document bintable_aa by footnote_4 on p_3. The second sentence of
item_9 in the original (bintable3) text said: "Each byte of bit and
byte arrays will be considered to be a signed [sic] integer for
purposes of display"; the new (bintable_aa) text says "unsigned".  I
consider this to be a correction of an obvious typographical error.  I
have compared the text of bintable3 and bintable_aa, and find no other
significant differences.  Because bintable3 was approved by formal
vote, and bintable_aa differs from it, it is possible that some
members of IAU-FWG will feel that a new approval is needed. In
addition, it is possible that some IAU-FWG member will find one or
more further corrections to make before the paper is submitted.
Therefore, please review the paper and submit any requests for re-vote
to me <[email-masked]> and any corrections to Bill Cotton
<[email-masked]>. If no re-vote is requested, Bill Cotton will
submit the paper (with any further corrections) on Monday January 23rd.

With best regards,
Don Wells    (Chair, IAU-FWG)

-- 
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         [email-masked]
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA