Subject: IEEE Metadata Workshop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 19:30:44 CST

Re: Dale's IEEE Metadata Workshop note

I think it would be very useful for the folks on this reflector to
debate and discuss what should be on the agenda for the May 16-18 meeting.
I am not on the reflector yet, so I'll to wait for the results of the debate.
Please send them to me asap for consideration by the program committee.
I have not seen the minutes from the Austin either; need a copy.

We would like to have continuity between the two Austin
meetings and the other planned workshops. So I expect that some folks would
volunteer to provide that continuity. Volunteers give me a call!

We are still looking for volunteers to be on the program committee for the
May 16-18 meeting. NASA GSFC has volunteered to help with logistics.
Thank you NASA GSFC.

It seemed to me that some attendees of the Austin meeting didn't know the IEEE
MSS&TC planned to hold a series of workshops with co-hosts around the country.
This decision was made January 1993 after an organizing meeting was held
at Scripps. A second organizing meeting was held April 1993 in Monterrey;
we committed to a workshop with ORNL (and later Francis Bretherton). At that
time, Jim Almond (UT), Bob Grossman (UIC), Manuel Vigil (LANL), and Dick Watson
(LLNL/NERSC) volunteered to host meetings. The ORNL Workshop was to be the
first, but Jim Almond et al jumped in with welcomed (and less formal)
workshops. From some of the recent comments, some folks didn't
know that IEEE MSS&TC planned to have workshops with various groups. Some
also felt we (IEEE and/or me) were not considerate of what the Austin group
was trying to accomplish. Frankly, I was just implementing the planned
approved by MSS&TC last year. Sorry, if folks were not informed of the plan
or if IEEE plans were different from what was expected.

Any group that desires
to have an IEEE MSS&TC sponsored "standing specialist workshop" or
"standing project committee" send the following information to me:

   1) Scope of project
   2) Purpose of project
   3) Charter statement

It seems the disconnect is that we (IEEE MSS&TC) don't see the two meetings
in Austin as being a "standing committee". Not that it would be a bad idea;
no one has requested it. It never hurts to ask for something. If you want
to form a "standing committee" then request one! The only request that
we have received with respect to the Austin meetings is permission to
use the IEEE MSS&TC sponsorship. It was granted.

I think that the Austin meeting agenda item title "our future as an
IEEE MSS&TC project)" was appropriate. However, I haven't heard if
that discussion produced a formal request to the IEEE MSS&TC or other
tangible result.

I won't apologize for implementing an approved IEEE workshop plan.
I will apologize for Dale, Otis and me not providing more information
about our plans to you sooner.

Regards, Bob
Chair, IEEE Data Mgt Committee