Subject: More on preparing for the next meeting

From: [email-masked] (Greg A.'Tony' Baraghimian)
Date: 09 Mar 1994 09:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charles Dollar recently wrote:

>I have one other thought.  Do we have a list of metadata projects with
>named individuals and a written description of each one?  Also, is it
>useful for someone to be compiling an annotated bibliography of metadata
>projects?  Preparation of such a bibliography, it seems to me, would be a
>prerequisite for reaching out to other communities interested in metadata
>issues in a variety of application contexts.  Circulation of either a list
>or an annotated bibliography (both of which would be dynamic and grow over
>time) to conference participants prior to the meeting itself might further
>serve to focus discussion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My interests in metadata are as a means to an end.  Meaning, my program 
requirements are to quickly (on the order of minutes) retrieve relevant
image data (eg.less than 50 images) from a 100 terabyte or greater sized
archive.  Thus far, in our discussions, both electronically and at Austin,
there has been very little mention of requirements.  Especially timing,
thruput, efficiency, etc.  Which brings me to Charles Dollar's comments.
I strongly agree that we should compile a metadata project bibliography
including information such as project requirements and other issues that
may serve to taxonomize all of the various efforts going on out there.
Any thoughts?

- Tony Baraghimian