Subject: IEEE Metadata -- sources

From: "Bruce K. Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 10:13:37 EST

An additional NIST source on metadata related issues is NIST Special 
Publication 500-173, "Guide to Data Administration."  This guide provides a 
reference model for the various activities performed by Information 
Resource Manaement, Data Administration, Data Modeling Tools 
Administration, and Database Administration.  The functions of Data 
Administration are discussed in detail.  Data Administration is responsible 
for defining an information architecture, and for establishing policies for 
naming conventions, information modeling techniques and methodologies, data 
element specification, system information integration, and data protection 
(i.e. metadata issues).

**********************************
* Bruce K. Rosen                 *
* NIST                           *
* Technology Bldg. Room A-266    *
* Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA    *
* Phone: (301) 975-3246          *
* FAX Number: (301) 948-6213     *
* email: [email-masked]         *
**********************************