Subject: Metadata Workshop

From: [email-masked] (Otis Graf)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 14:50:46 -0500

*********************** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION **********************

  Workshop on Metadata for Scientific and Technical Data Management
  =================================================================

   IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Mass Storage Systems
                         Specialist Workshop

          Chair: Francis Bretherton, Vice-Chair: Otis Graf

                          May 16-18, 1994

                   National Archives, Archives II
                          Washington, D.C.

  Increasingly large amounts of scientific and technical data are
  being created and saved in digital data storage systems.  There
  is a need to expedite the access and use of this data, and to
  promote interdisciplinary sharing of the data.  A variety of
  different data types and formats need to be addressed, such as:
  images, audio, video, tables, arrays, graphics, algorithms and
  procedures, and documents.

  The purpose of this workshop is to bring together individuals
  with a common interest in managing and using large stores of
  scientific and technical data.  The focus will be on defining a
  framework for metadata (data describing the stored data).  It is
  a particular goal of the specialist workshop series to produce a
  metadata reference model for scientific and technical data
  management.

  It is expected that the workshop will be of interest to the
  following groups:
    o Users and managers of scientific & technical databases
      - Astrophysics and astronomy
      - Biochemistry
      - Biological
      - Earth Science
      - Environmental
      - Geographical Information Systems
      - Geophysics and Exploration
      - High Energy Physics
      - Intelligence and surveillance
      - Process Control Systems
      - Visualization
    o Computer scientists
    o Hardware and software vendors
    o Data system integrators

  WORKSHOP SPONSOR:

     IEEE Mass Storage Systems & Technology Technical Committee
     Bob Coyne, [email-masked], (713) 282-7274

  WORKSHOP OBJECTIVES

     (1) Create an intellectual framework and guide for metadata.
     This can be called a "Metadata Reference Model" for
     scientific and technical data management.

     (2) Begin a development effort for the Reference Model.
     Identify the need for such a model and necessary participants
     in its development.  Begin to define some of the elements of
     the Reference Model.

     (3) Identify data providers and data consumers.  Determine
     how they should influence the Reference Model.

     (4) Determine the technology required to implement an
     application of the Reference Model.

     (5) Identify work in progress and describe how that work
     relates the draft Reference Model.

  WORKSHOP STRUCTURE

     The workshop will begin with a series of keynote speakers to
     set the direction for the following days work.  Then the
     workshop chair and organizing committee will present the
     scope and objectives, as well as draft versions of the
     reference model and definitions of terms.  The heart of the
     workshop will be four work groups meeting separately.  Prior
     to breaking into separate groups, the chair will give
     specific topics and directions to each group.  The workshop
     will conclude with a panel discussion session and a summary
     session.

  PARTICIPATION

     Workshop participation will be limited to 50 persons.  It is
     expected that all participants are active researchers or
     developers, and have an interest in the management of large
     stores of scientific or technical data.  Participants should
     submit position papers through electronic mail (preferred),
     regular mail or FAX by no later than April 20, 1994.

     Position papers can be a review, original research
     contributions, extensions of previous work, or application
     briefs.  The position papers will be made available to all
     workshop attendees.

     Participants should also read the three reference papers
     listed below.  Copies of the first two items can be
     downloaded from the anonymous FTP server
     ftp.clearlake.ibm.com in the directory pub/IEEE_Metadata.
     The third item can be requested in printed form from the
     Workshop Coordinator.

     Participants will be selected by the workshop organizers
     based on the position papers.  Please e-mail or send position
     papers to the workshop coordinator (Otis Graf) at the address
     below.

     The registration fee for the 2 1/2 day workshop is $300.00,
     which includes breaks and continental breakfasts.  Checks or
     money orders should be made payable to Jorge Scientific
     Corporation.  Registration fees will be collected at the
     workshop.

  WORKSHOP CHAIR
     Francis Bretherton
     Univ. of Wisconsin, Space Science and Engineering Center
     E-mail: [email-masked]

  VICE-CHAIR & WORKSHOP COORDINATOR
     Otis Graf
     IBM U.S. - Federal
     3700 Bay Area Blvd.
     Houston, Texas 77058
     FAX:   (713) 282-7439
     Phone: (713) 282-8216
     E-mail: [email-masked]

  ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
     Francis Bretherton, Univ. of Wisconsin SSEC
     Charles Dollar, National Archives
     Dave Fulker, Unidata Program Center
     Otis Graf, IBM U.S. - Federal
     Paul Kanciruk, Oak Ridge National Lab
     Ben Kobler, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
     Dave Sebring, IBM U.S. - Federal
     Paul Singley, Oak Ridge National Lab
     Steve Worley, National Center for Atmospheric Research

  ADVISORY COMMITTEE
     Jim Almond, Univ. of Texas CHPC
     John Davis, DOD Ft. George Meade     (IEEE MSS&TC EC)
     Tom Karl, NOAA NCDC
     Bernard T. O'Lear, NCAR              (IEEE MSS&TC EC)
     Ron Pfaff, LANL
     Tom Pyke, NOAA HPCC
     Dick Watson, LLNL                    (IEEE MSS&TC EC)
     Greg Withee, NOAA ESDIM

  WORKSHOP AGENDA

    Monday, May 16, 1994
        8:00    Registration
        8:00    Continental Breakfast
        8:45    Welcome and Introductions
        9:00    Keynote Speaker #1: Greg Withee, NOAA
        9:30    Keynote Speaker #2
       10:00    Break
       10:30    Discussion of Workshop and Objectives
       11:00    Metadata Definition and System Assumptions
       12:00    Lunch
        1:00    Discussion on Reaction to Draft Metadata Reference Model
        2:00    Specific Guidance to Work Groups
        3:00    Breakout into four Work Groups
        5:30    Adjourn for the day

    Tuesday, May 17, 1994
        8:30    Continental Breakfast
        9:00    Breakout into four Work Groups
       10:30    Break
       10:50    Breakout into four Work Groups
       12:00    Lunch
        1:00    Breakout into four Work Groups
        3:00    Break
        3:20    Breakout into four Work Groups
        5:30    Adjourn for the day

    Wednesday, May 18, 1994
        8:30   Continental Breakfast
        9:00   Reports from the four Work Groups
       10:00   Break
       10:30   Panel session with audience discussion
       12:00   Workshop summary, recommendations and forward plans
        1:00   Adjourn the workshop

   REFERENCE MATERIAL

   (1) F. Bretherton, Draft of the Metadata Reference Model

   (2) B. Gritton, "Metadata Definitions"

   (3) C. Hsu, M. Bouziane and L. Yee, "Information Resources
     Management in Heterogeneous, Distributed Environments:  A
     Metadatabase Approach", IEEE Transactions on Software
     Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 6, June 1991.