Subject: Re: Tape Archives at MIT's AI Lab

From: [email-masked] (Todd King)
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 11:05:32 +0800

Brian -

I'm Todd King at UCLA and I work on NASA's Planetary Data System
project which concerns itself with historical data and present mission
data products from NASA planetary missions. The historical data work
involves many of the same challenges you are encountering. To address
this and to address future needs we have developed an extensible
meta-data system which tracks data holdings and also provides browsing
and ordering functions. We have written several papers which have been
presented in the space physics community (so you won't find them in
IEEE journals). You can get Postscript versions of the papers from our
anonymous FTP server at "ftp.igpp.ucla.edu" under the directory "docs".
Documents are stored according to publication number.

Here is a list of the publications you might be interested in.

IGPP #        Title					Authors
======  =============================================   ====================
3656	The Design and Implementation of Scalable	Todd A. King,
	Data Systems and Incremental Data Sets		Steven P. Joy,
							Raymond J. Walker
3657	The Morphology and Architecture of a		Todd A. King, 
	Distributed Data System				Steven P. Joy.
							Raymond J. Walker
4095	The Design, Development and Operation of	Todd King,
	a Distributed Data Inventory System		Steve Joy,
							Raymond J. Walker
4096	Extensions to the Relational Database		Todd A. King,
	Model and the Structured Query Language		Steven P. Joy,
	for Scientific Databases			Raymond J. Walker
4097	DITDOS: A Set of Design Specifications for	T.A. King, R.J. Walker, 
	Distributed Data Inventories			S.P. Joy