Subject: Metadata

From: [email-masked] (Larry Brandt)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 13:16:38 -0400

Colleagues,

I mentioned in one of our recent meetings that I had attended a meeting on
"data about data" or Metadata, at OCLC in Dublin Ohio, co-hosted by NCSA.
The goal of the meeting was to bring together many of the players in
library, internet, SGML, and other communities to discuss the definition of
a core set of metadata elements.  Several of the participating institutions
expect to implement code on the basis of those elements.

The following URL,

gopher://marvel.loc.gov:70/00/.listarch/usmarc/dp86.doc

points to an interesting paper by one of the participants from the Library
of Congress on how the Dublin metadata tags could be mapped to the USMARC
record tags.   USMARC has been around for a long time, is quite complex,
and is used extensively in the library community.

If we are to be able to find data we need, the problems of indexing and
describing data are increasingly critical as the web and the internet
continue growing.  The Government Information Locator Service
specifications, which all federal agencies with public data must adhere to,
will also be able to be mapped to the Dublin core set.

Hope you enjoy the paper.

>>>Larry