Subject: invitation for special edition

From: [email-masked] (Terence R. Smith)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 16:02:49 PDT

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 %%                                                      %%
 %%                   CALL FOR PAPERS                    %%
 %%                                                      %%
 %%      INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DIGITAL LIBRARIES      %%
 %%                                                      %%
 %%                   SPECIAL ISSUE ON                   %%
 %%                                                      %%
 %%            METADATA AND DIGITAL LIBRARIES            %%
 %%                                                      %%
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

     A special issue of the International Journal of Digital
 Libraries (see below) is planned for publication in February,
 1997. This issue will focus on issues concerning metadata
 and digital libraries.  Metadata is a term that is often used
 to refer to the characterization of information objects for
 purposes of locating, evaluating, and accessing appropriate 
 sets of objects. The typical approach to metadata taken by
 traditional libraries involves selecting representations of
 concepts that characterize the structure, context, content,
 and evaluation of collection items; the extraction of such 
 representations from library items; and the use of these 
 representations for library functions that include indexing, 
 cataloging, and search. Digital library technology is capable
 of both supporting major augmentations to each of these metadata
 activities and providing a basis for catalog interoperability.
 There is much current interest in issues relating to metadata
 and catalog interoperability in digital libraries and a special
 journal issue on such a topic is especially timely.

     We seek original, high quality contributions in this general
  area.  Topics of interest for the special issue include, but are
  not limited to:

   o  theoretical foundations of metadata;
   o  metadata as a knowledge base for digital libraries;
   o  knowledge representation languages for metadata;
   o  use of controlled subsets of natural language for
      metadata representation;
   o  standards for the extraction, representation, and exchange
      of metadata;
   o  integration of various metadata sources, such as ontologies,
      thesauri, gazetteers, directories, and bibliographies;
   o  relationships between metadata activities in digital libraries
      and metadata activities in areas such as scientific databases;
   o  automated extraction of metadata;
   o  database support for the storage and accessing of metadata;
   o  query languages for metadata;
   o  user-oriented (visual) representations of metadata;
   o  metadata and catalog interoperability;
   o  metadata in relation to Internet technologies;
   o  metadata for special classes of information objects,
      such as maps, images, video, and multimedia.

     The objective of the special issue is to provide an outstanding
 set of articles that will have salient effects both on current
 research and on current practise concerning the nature of metadata
 and its use in digital library settings.

     Because of the timeliness of the topic of metadata and the
 associated issues, the following accelerated schedule will be
 followed for the special issue of JODL:

   o  PAPERS DUE:     October 15, 1996
   o  ACCEPTANCE:     December 15, 1996
   o  FINAL VERSION:  January 7, 1997
   o  PUBLICATION:    February 1997

 Papers should not exceed 8000 words in length. They should not have
 been previously published, nor currently submitted to other journals 
 for publication. All papers will be refereed by anonymous referees
 according to the highest standards. Papers should include a title
 page containing title, authors' names and affiliations, postal and
 email addresses, telephone numbers and Fax numbers.  Papers should
 include a 300-word abstract and 5-10 keywords. Please submit FIVE
 COPIES of your manuscript to the guest editor by October 15, 1996:

                Terence R. Smith
                Department of Computer Science
                University of California at Santa Barbara
                CA 93106, USA
                Tel:   805-893-2966
                Fax:   805-893-8553
                Email: [email-masked]

 For further information, please contact the guest editor.

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%          INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DIGITAL LIBRARIES         %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                     Springer Verlag                         %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                     Editors-in-Chief                        %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%      Nabil R. Adam                   Yelena Yesha           %%
 %%      Rutgers University CIMIC        UMBC/NASA CESDIS       %%
 %%      Newark, NJ 07102                Baltimore, MD 21228    %%
 %%      [email-masked]           [email-masked]    %%
 %%      (201) 648-5239                  (410) 455-3542         %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                     Advisory Board                          %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%  Al Aho, Columbia Univ.      Dan  Atkins, Univ. of Michigan %%
 %%  Milton Halem, GSFC-NASA     Don Tiedeman, AT&T             %%
 %%               Jim Flanagan, Rutgers University              %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                      Editorial Board                        %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%         S. Abiteboul, Stanford University                   %%
 %%         P. Aigrain, Universite Paul Sabatier, France        %% 
 %%         P. Buneman, University of  Pennsylvania             %%
 %%         D. Choy, IBM Almaden Research Center                %%
 %%         U. Dayal, HP                                        %%
 %%         R. Jain, UC-San Diego                               %%
 %%         D. Maier, Oregon Graduate Institute                 %%
 %%         H. Maurer, Institute of IPCSM, Austria              %%
 %%         A. McCray, The National Library of Medicine         %%
 %%         A. Mendelzon, University of Toronto, Canada         %%
 %%         S. Naqvi, Bellcore                                  %%
 %%         E. J. Neuhold, GMD-IPSI, Germany                    %%
 %%         C. Pu, Oregon Graduate Institute                    %%
 %%         E.A. Rundensteiner, University of Michigan          %%
 %%         J. Slonim, IBM Centre for Advanced Studies, Canada  %%
 %%         T. Smith, UC-Santa Barbara                          %%
 %%         S. Sugimoto, Univ. of Lib. Info. Sc., Japan         %%
 %%         H. Wactlar, Carnegie Mellon University              %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%                                                             %%
 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%