Subject: [[email-masked]: Coordination on uses of meta-data]

From: Charles R Musick Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:02:06 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:31:58 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Steve Waterbury)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Coordination on uses of meta-data

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 27 07:56:48 1996
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:34 +0200
From: Guy Pierra <[email-masked]>
Subject:      (partial) report from the Bellevue Worshop: Coordination on uses
              of meta-data
X-To:         [email-masked]
X-cc:         [email-masked], [email-masked],
              [email-masked], [email-masked],
              [email-masked], [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list WG2-LIST
              <[email-masked]>

Dear all,

This is a partial report from the Bellevue:  "Joint Workshop on Standards
for the Use of Models that Define the Data and Processes of Information
Systems".

This partial report only addressee the specific resolutions that deals with
WG2/IEC SC3D related topics: Data dictionary and meta-data;

" The Joint Workshop on Standards for the Use of Models that Define the
Data and Processes of Information Systems reached consensus that the
following resolutions will promote the effect standardization use,
exchange, integration and implementation of models and modelling
technology.

RESOLUTION 3::          Registration of Metadata

R3.1.  The Joint Workshop requests that JTC1 organize a Workshop on
Metadata Registration.and the collection of all these meta-data within a
common registry

R3.2.  JTC1 change their procedures to include registration of the metadata
in standard models as part of the standard publication procedure.

RATIONALE:

Considering that more and more standardization committees in various
application areas (e.g., IEC SC3D for electronic components, ISO TC29 for
manufacturing data, ISO TC184/SC4 for engineering data, EDI for Electronic
messages) are defining computer readable data element description to
specify the meaning of the data involved in information models or
standards, often called "meta-data";.

The use of different structures for these sets of computer readable
descriptions would lead to duplication of work and incompatibility among
standards.

World wide web technologies for accessing text are well developed and in
use.  However the world wide web lacks standards for access to structured
meta-data and data.

EDI message structures, their definition and specifications of meaning are
not easily available.

It is the view of the Joint Workshop that a registry for meta-data in
standards should be established.  The benefits of establishing such a
registry will include:
- It will ensure the consistency of meta data in standards, e.g. across IEC
1360, ISO 13584, ISO/IEC 11179, ISO 10728, PCTE, ISO/IEC13237, ANSI dpANS
X3.285 (Meta-model for management of shareable data), IEEE P1157 (Standard
for Health Care data Interchange MEDIX Joint Working Group with a
meta-model of shareable data);
- it will ensure consistent management among repositories through content
modules;
- it will promote the development of standard meta data;
- it will provide uniform access to meta data in standards;
- it will facilitate access to structured data and meta-datavia the world
wide web;
- it will facilitate the development of EDI messages and the use of
Internet technologies for the transmission of EDI messages.

The use of compatible sets of structures for meta-data, and the collection
of all these meta-data within a common registry, will promote the use of
the same meta-data across both the standardization and business activities.
This will reduce duplication of work and increase the compatibility among
all the standards that address electronic data interchange.(see:JWS R3.1. )
The Joint Workshop requests that JTC1 organize a Workshop on Meta data
Registration.

The purpose of this workshop is to address the development of this registry
of the salient attributes of data models and meta models in relevant
International standards.

The workshop should address the following topics:
- Formulate a template for the submission of such meta data. The template
should be developed considering the content of ISO/IEC11179, ISO 13584,
ISO/IEC CD 13237 Naming and Thesaurus, and IEC1360, as well as existing and
proposed Industry Standards for data modelling, including ISO 10303-11
(EXPRESS), EIA CDIF EIA/PN-3071(Data Definition) and EIA-PN3072 (Data
Modelling).
- Develop an IRDS content module to specify the content of the registry.
- Recommend the appointment of a registration authority and the source of
funding for such an authority.
- Address the development of the registry technology and procedures.
- Address the question of comparison and reconciliation of meta data
between standards to ensure consistency.
- Facilitation of access to structured data and meta-data via the world
wide web.
- Facilitation of access to the definition of the structure and meaning of
the elements in EDI messages via the world wideweb.

The Joint Workshop further recommends that the responsibility for
organizing and leading this Workshop on Meta data Registration should be
assigned to JTC1/SC14.

Participation in this workshop shall be open, but because of the particular
relevance of their work, JTC1 should extend an explicit invitation to the
following:
- IEC SC3d      (IEC 1360)
- ISO TC154
- ISO TC184/SC4/WG2 PLib
- ISO TC46
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC14
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC21/WG3 CSMF RG
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC21/WG3 IRDS RG
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22/WG22
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC7/WG11.
- UN/EDIFACT

In addition Invitations should also be extended to ISO TC184/SC4/WG2,IEC
SC3d, UN/EDIFACT, TC154 and TC46 (Information and Documentation)to
participate.<H4>JWS R3.2.  JTC1 change their procedures to include
registration of the meta data in standard models as part of the standard
publication procedure."

####################################################################
#                              See                                 #
#         http://elib.cme.nist.gov/workshop/jtc1-96/               #
#                    for information on the                        #
#     Joint Workshop on Standards for the Use of Models            #
# that Define the Data and Processes of Information Systems        #
####################################################################

Yours sincerely

Guy Pierra

**********************************************************************
*
* Guy PIERRA, Prof.
* LABORATORY OF APPLIED COMPUTER SCIENCE                                (LISI)
* National School of Engineers in Mechanics and Aeronautics     (ENSMA)
* Site du Futuroscope   - B.P. 109 -   86960 FUTUROSCOPE Cedex - FRANCE
* Tel. (33) 49-49-80-60  -  fax : (33) 49-49-80-64
* e-mail : [email-masked]

----- End Included Message -----