Subject: Postage stamp client available

From: [email-masked] (Doug Mink)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 17:08:09 EDT

I have modified saoimage to use the NRAO world coordinate system
subroutines.  It can track the cursor in world coordinates as well
as image coordinates and execute an external command using an internally
generated world coordinate string.  It is not debugged on systems other
than SunOS 4.1.3 yet, but I am working on getting versions running on
Decstation Ultrix and Solaris.  The SunOS executable is available for
anonymous ftp as /pub/gsc/Saoimage/saoimage1.09.sunos.Z on cfa0.harvard.edu
The 'c' command prints the cursor world coordinate position to stdout,
and the 'w' command executes the command set by -wcscom using the world
coordinates of the cursor's current position.

My Guide Star Catalog search program, rgsc, has been updated to work
with the world coordinate string produced by saoimage.  It is available
on the same machine as /pub/gsc/Rgsc/rgsc2.6.sunos.tar.Z.  RGSC
documentation is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL

          http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/rgsc.html

To use rgsc with saoimage, put it in your search path, set up the
parameter file with the appropriate CDROM pathnames in your working
directory, and run

           saoimage -wcscom rgsc_append=yes_dbox=.01_%s

I hope to add to the documentation for both saoimage and rgsc to
document use of the programs in this manner.

-Doug Mink
 Telescope Data Center
 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
 Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA