Subject: SAOIMAGE WCS Browser source available

From: [email-masked] (Doug Mink)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 14:05:59 EST

The complete source plus SunOS and Decstation Ultrix binaries of a
WCS-capable saoimage is available for anonymous ftp at URL
         ftp://cfa0.harvard.edu/pub/gsc/Saoimage/.
Don't forget the WWW page on Postage Stamp serving at URL
         http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/Postage_stamp/postage_stamp.html

This version of saoimage adds a WCS tracking window above the coordinate
tracking window and has these additional keystroke cursor commands:
  c prints the world coordinate (RA and Dec as hh:mm:ss.sss dd:mm:ss.ss
    and Lat Long as dd.ddddd dd.ddddd) and image pixel coordinate, along
    with the value of that pixel to standard output.
  q terminates SAOIMAGE (like q in XV).
  w executes the command set by -wcscom on the command line, substituting
    the world coordinate string (RA and Dec as hh:mm:ss.sss dd:mm:ss.ss
    and Lat Long as dd.ddddd dd.ddddd) for %s.  For example, my Guide Star
    search program, RGSC, can be fed by -wcscom rgsc_%s.  When you type
    w, RGSC will be fired up and a search conducted, based on current
    parameter settings, centered at the cursor position.

Unhappily, SkyView seems not be be using mime type fits yet.  IPAC's
ISSA postage stamp server is set up correctly, as is my tdc-www.harvard.edu
server.  If you click on the *FITS images* hypertext link under Goals on
the Postage Stamp WWW page mentioned above and you have things set up
correctly on your local system, SAOIMAGE should bring up a FITS version
of the IRAF wpix image.

Give it a try, and let me know what happens.  Tell me about any ports
to other machines.
-Doug Mink
 Telescope Data Center
 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics