Subject: SAOIMAGE for Digital Sky Survey

From: [email-masked] (Doug Mink)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 95 21:03:34 EST

Because we're setting up our own disk farm to serve the Digital Sky Survey
at the Center for Astrophysics, I made a few modifications to SAOIMAGE to
produce RA and Dec from the plate solution in the header of the FITS images
produced by the getimage program distributed with the CDROM set.  The new
version of SAOIMAGE, version 1.12, is available by anonymous ftp from
cfa0.harvard.edu in pub/gsc/Saoimage.  I have also compiled the new version
for the Dec Alpha running OSF/1.  The SunOS, Decstation Ultrix, and Alpha OSF/1
binaries, as well as two sample fits files and a tar file containing the source
are also located in that directory.  Someday soon, I will get around to doing
a Solaris port, although the SunOS version runs just fine under Solaris in
compatibility mode.  If you have the Guide Star Catalog installed and have
RGSC (see http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/rgsc.html) installed on your
computer, try saoimage wcstest.fits -wcscom rgsc_-box_0.0010_-j_%s .  If you
type <w> over a star, rgsc will search the Guide Star Catalog and print the
stars ID and position, if it is in the catalog.  Let me know of any problems
you encounter.
-Doug Mink
 Telescope Data Center
 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics