Subject: FITS to GIF format

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 03:35:50 EST

IA> Is there some program somewhere that will
IA> convert a FITS file to GIF or JPG format?

  The best graphic file viewer I've come across has the file name
"DISP180A.ZIP".  It is capable of reading:
"
   GIF(.gif), Japan MAG(.mag), Japan PIC(.jpc), Sun Raster(.ras),
   Jpeg(.jpg), XBM(.xbm), Utah RLE(.rle), PBM(.pbm), PGM(.pgm),
   PPM(.ppm), PM(.pm), PCX(.pcx), Japan MKI(.mki), Tiff(.tif),
   Targa(.tga), XPM(.xpm), Mac Paint(.mac), GEM/IMG(.img),
   IFF/ILBM(.iff,.lbm), Windows BMP(.bmp), QRT ray tracing(.qrt),
   Mac PICT(.pct), VIS(.vis), PDS(.pds), VIKING(.vik), VICAR(.vic),
   FITS(.fit), Usenix FACE(.fac), IRIS(.sgi), YUV(.yuv), RAW RGB (.rgb),
   PCPAINT/Pictor(.pic,.clp), RAW GREY(.gry).

   DL(.dl), FLI(.fli), FLC(.flc), RAW(.raw, produced by DMPEG),
   MPEG(.mpg), AVI(.avi), GL(.gl).

   the extensions in () are standard extensions.
"
And, from any of those types, it can rewrite them in the forms of:
"
    GIF, Sun Raster, Jpeg, XBM, PBM, PGM, PPM, PM, Tiff, Targa,
    XPM, Mac Paint, Ascii, Laser Jet, IFF/ILBM, Windows BMP,
    Mac PICT, VIS, FITS, FACE, PCX, GEM/IMG, IRIS, YUV, RAW RGB,
    Postscript, RAW GREY.
"

  I'm not sure where I got this program.  Simtel?  Wuarchive?  Well,
check archie for it.  As far as I can tell (I just got it yesturday),
everything is functional, no registration is required, or even
mentioned.

  Ah!  Here we go:
"
  The official site is NCTUCCCA.edu.tw:/PC/graphics/disp.
  The IP address is 140.111.1.10 or 192.83.166.10
"

(The stuff between the quotes was extracted from the READ.ME file that
came with the program)