Subject: Re: FITS program on Sun

From: [email-masked] (Adam Bernstein)
Date: 21 Sep 1994 18:52:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] 
(Andy Reynolds) writes:
|> 
|> Does anybody know of a PD program on Suns (SunOS) to convert a FITS file
|> into a GIF/JPEG/etc?  The files I'm working with are 16bit FITS files.
|> I've got the pbmplus package but those program complain that the files
|> aren't 8bit.  I've also got ImageMagick but the output file from that is
|> garbage.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
|> 

	This question comes up periodically here.  You can use XV 3.0, obtained
by ftp to cis.upenn.edu, which includes some unsupported modifications that
give it FITS support.  I had some problems implementing these, and ended up
making a few modifications of the modifications, which you can get by ftp
to csi.jpl.nasa.gov in the /pub/users/adam directory.  The file "convert.tar.Z"
contains these changes, as well as a new program called "FITS2GIF" that I
hacked together in order to allow non-interactive conversion of a large 
number of FITS files to GIF format.

	Any problems, lemme know.

		Adam	

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Bernstein               Phone: 818 354-9784    Jet Propulsion Lab
Guidance & Control /         FAX:   818 393-6105    MS 198-235
  Optical Tracking Group                            4800 Oak Grove Dr.
[email-masked]                            Pasadena, CA 91109
------------------------------------------------------------------------