Subject: Re: Looking for a FITS displaying package

From: [email-masked] (Adam Bernstein)
Date: 8 Dec 1994 18:18:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andy Reynolds) writes:
|> 
|> I'm looking for a FITS displaying package under SunOS on a Sparcstation
|> running X windows.  I've heard of a patch for the XV program that allows it
|> to do FITS, but haven't been able to find it.  Anybody know where to find
|> this patch or any other program to display FITS?
|> 

	You can get the patches at csi.jpl.nasa.gov (128.149.29.4) in
/pub/users/adam/xv3fits.tar.Z.  However, if you're most interested in
displaying and astronomy-related manipulation, your best bet is probably
SAOimage, which you can get from aeneas.mit.edu in /pub/gnu/saoimage-1.08.tar.gz,
or from the IRAF archives at iraf.noao.edu in /contrib/saoimage.sparc.  And,
of course, if you want to do some serious astronomical reduction and analysis,
you could get the whole 60 meg IRAF package, which uses SAOimage as a display
facility.

		Adam

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Bernstein               Phone: 818 354-9784    Jet Propulsion Lab
Guidance & Control /         FAX:   818 393-6105    MS 198-235
  Optical Tracking Group                            4800 Oak Grove Dr.
[email-masked]                            Pasadena, CA 91109
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Al Wootten)
Date: 9 Dec 94 14:29:56

A small FITS capable program with excellent functionality is Harvey Liszt's
DRAWSPEC package, available from polaris.cv.nrao.edu via anon ftp 
in directory /hliszt

For viewing, try Bill Cotton's FITSview for Windows via anon ftp as
ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/fitsview031.zip
with installation described in 
ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/fitsview031.txt

Clear skies,
Al
+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	|
| National Radio Astronomy Observatory                  |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA|
| (804)-296-0329 voice  Let's build The Millimeter Array|
| (804)-296-0278 FAX           {>    {>    {>    {>     |
+------------------------------^-----^-----^-----^------+

--
 Alwyn  Wootten

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Willner)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 17:26:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Andy Reynolds) writes:
>I'm looking for a FITS displaying package under SunOS on a Sparcstation
>running X windows. 

The program saoimage is available from sao-ftp.harvard.edu in
directory /pub/saoimage.  The manual is separate, so you can ftp it
first to see if the program is what you want.  There are three
versions of the program available, but I don't know why you would
want anything other than version 1.07, the latest.  There seem to be
executables as well as source files, but I have no experience
building the program myself.

-- 
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123     [email-masked]
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 
  member, League for Programming Freedom; contact [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Bernstein)
Date: 8 Dec 1994 18:18:51 GMT

Adam

---

From: [email-masked] (Al Wootten)
Date: 9 Dec 94 14:29:56

Clear skies,
Al

--
 Alwyn  Wootten