Subject: Re: Need Help With CD-ROM Images on explorer.a

From: [email-masked] (Peter G. Ford)
Date: 4 Aug 1993 20:04:43 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Peter Merholz) writes:
>The images on the ftp site explorer.arc.nasa.gov are in a format I've
>yet to come across. I'm using a color Mac, and have Photoshop, which can
>read most anything. Anyway, is there some way I can convert those images
>to Mac-readable ones? Those images have high potential--I'd really like
>to see them.

You're correct in saying that many of these images cannot be loaded
into Photoshop.  They can however be read by NASA's version of the NIH
Image program which you can download from the following anonymous ftp
servers:

delcano.mit.edu       18.75.0.80     pub/image1492.hqx
starhawk.jpl.nasa.gov 137.79.108.113 pub/image149.2.hqx

The images on Voyager disks are in a special compressed format. You
must first decompress them with the following program:

delcano.mit.edu       18.75.0.80     pub/PDS.Decompress-1.0.hqx
ames.arc.nasa.gov     128.102.18.3   pub/SPACE/SOFTWARE/PDS.Decompress-1.0.hqx

Once you have loaded the images into Image, you can transfer them to
Photoshop either via the clipboard or by saving them in TIFF format.

Peter Ford
NASA Planetary Data System
Geoscience Node