Subject: Re: Need Help With CD-ROM Images on explorer.arc.nasa.gov

From: martin@helios (Martin Connors)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 03:12:24 GMT

Peter Merholz ([email-masked]) wrote:
: The images on the ftp site explorer.arc.nasa.gov are in a format I've
: yet to come across. I'm using a color Mac, and have Photoshop, which can
: read most anything. Anyway, is there some way I can convert those images
: to Mac-readable ones? Those images have high potential--I'd really like
: to see them.

I have posted to Peter the suggestion that he is having trouble due to
the compressed images on many of these CD-ROMs. Now I have my own
question, re the Viking frame number system.
I would like to make a picture of Ceraunius Tholus and it is in frame
516A24 according to a research article from 1982. However the index list
for vo_1008 does not contain this designation. Some other frames in the
article ARE there (341S08) but most are not. How do the frame numbers
relate to CD-ROM filenames?
BTW check out 3rd page of May 1993 National Geographic for a great
image of this area with bried text about SNC (Mars-derived) meteorites.
--
Martin Connors         |
Space Research         | [email-masked]  (403) 492-2526
University of Alberta  |