Subject: HEASARC FITS Software

From: William Pence <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:30:03 -0400

FITS Software Update
--------------------

For the benefit of new readers, and as a reminder to veterans, here is a
summary of some of the FITS-related software available from the HEASARC:

1.  fv (v2.5)- a full featured viewer and editor for any type of FITS file,
including tables and images.  Versions for most unix platforms (including Mac
and PC Linux), and a version for Windows 95/98/NT are available from
http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools/fv/

2.  Several individual FITS utility programs are available from
http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools/ftools_select.html:

    fverify - program to verify that a FITS file
              conform to the new FITS Standard

    fdump - print out the contents of a FITS table 
            to an ASCII file

    fcopy - a simple file copy program that enables very 
            powerful filtering or row selection operations
            when copying a FITS file.

3.  FTOOLS (v4.2) - this is the large package of FITS utilities and 
data analysis programs, (including the above 2 items).  See
http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools for more information.

4.  CFITSIO (v2.032)- this is the C and Fortran subroutine interface library
for
reading and writing FITS files that is used by all the above software.   It is
available from http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/fitsio/

--------------------------------------------