Subject: RESULT: sci.astro.fits passes 311:14

From: dwells at azalea.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1992 05:59:57 GMT

Name:	sci.astro.fits

Status:	Unmoderated

Charter:

  This newsgroup will provide a forum for the discussion of all topics
  concerning the FITS [Flexible Image Transport System] data format.
  The newsgroup will be interfaced to the Email exploder
  fitsbits at fits.cx.nrao.edu so that traffic originating on either the
  newsgroup on the exploder will be automatically transmitted to the
  other. This new newsgroup will replace existing newsgroup
  alt.sci.astro.fits.  

Reference Entry:

  sci.astro.fits	Issues related to FITS [Flexible Image Transport System]

This newsgroup received 311 YES votes and 14 NO votes during the
voting period (11 February to 23:59_EST 02 March 1992). As the excess
of YES votes over NO votes was more than 100, and more than 2/3 of the
votes were YES, this newsgroup should be created.

The following 311 people voted YES:
                                    adelmans at citadel.bitnet
                                    anderson at atnf.csiro.au
                                    anw at anwsun.phya.utoledo.edu
                                    bob at ipac.caltech.edu
                                    bpirenne at eso.org
                                    bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    c1796 at slvaxa.umsl.edu
                                    cbiemes at noao.edu
                                    cguirao at eso.org
                                    chipman at grossc.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    collierm at astro.byu.edu
                                    colorado at stars.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.com
                                    dreher at bkyast.berkeley.edu
                                    ed at astro.umd.edu
                                    fitz at noao.edu
                                    fmurtagh at eso.org
                                    francois at simbad.u-strasbg.fr
                                    gondwana at athena.mit.edu
                                    hmadorf at eso.org
                                    howard at ssl.msfc.nasa.gov
                                    jjk at astro.umd.edu
                                    jlovell at physvax.phys.utas.edu.au
                                    jmcgaha at pimacc.pima.edu
                                    joycemr%cfa8.decnet at harvard.harvard.edu
                                    ke at laban.uu.se
                                    kemper at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    marschal at cc.gettysburg.edu
                                    mary at jach.hawaii.edu
                                    mh563x1d at ducvax.auburn.edu
                                    m_hayden at pluto.cc.gettysburg.edu
                                    nafia at chimay.cma.fr
                                    neff at stars.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    ovdluhe at eso.org
                                    pdierckx at eso.org
                                    pgrosbol at eso.org
                                    phys218 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
                                    pshuang at athena.mit.edu
                                    pwb at isaac.phys.unsw.oz.au
                                    ralbrech at eso.org
                                    repalmer at oread.cc.ukans.edu
                                    rhook at eso.org
                                    rick at ipac.caltech.edu
                                    sysevm%nsrvan.uucp%clark.uucp at clark.edu
                                    varsik at suncub.bbso.caltech.edu
                                    w3whw at scfmvs.bitnet
                                    weiland at aruba.gsfc.nasa.gov
                                    whb at hoh-2.att.com
                                    wls at astro.umd.edu
              Lenny Abbey           labbey at gtri01.gatech.edu
              Steve Abrams          abrams%cfa0 at harvard.harvard.edu
              David Adler           dadler at negra.aoc.nrao.edu
              Moani Akana           akana at cfht.hawaii.edu
             Miguel Albrecht        malbrech at eso.org
            Michael Albrow          phys170 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
              Steve Allen           sla at helios.ucsc.edu
              Scott Allendorf       sca at space.physics.uiowa.edu
              Shaun Amy             samy at atnf.csiro.au
           Keith M. Andress         andress at igor.siemens.com
              Keith Arnaud          kaa at rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
              Carlo Baffa           baffa at arcetri.astro.it
              Bruce Balick          balick at tahoma.phys.washington.edu
                Tom Bania           bania at buast4.bu.edu
            Timothy Banks           bankst at kauri.vuw.ac.nz
              Klaus Banse           kbanse at eso.org
          Jeannette Barnes          jbarnes at noao.edu
               dave barrett         dbb at riscy.nyo.dec.com
               Paul Bartholdi       bartho at scsun.unige.ch
              Fritz Benedict        fritz at dorrit.as.utexas.edu
               Mark Birkinshaw      mb1%cfarg2.decnet at harvard.harvard.edu
               Jeff Bloch           103283 at sstdp1.lanl.gov
                Uwe Bonnes          bon at lte.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
       Michael Eric Boschat         andromed at atm.dal.ca
     Jeffrey Oliver Breen           job at cfa236.harvard.edu
             Daniel Briggs          dbriggs at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
        Lawrence E. Brown           elwin at gamma.phys.clemson.edu
                Liz Bryson          bryson at cfht.hawaii.edu
             Markus Buchhorn        markus at merlin.anu.edu.au
               Mike Buckles         buckles at cfht.hawaii.edu
           Sinclair Budd            cmaae50 at cc.ic.ac.uk
              Frank Bull            bull%pyrrus.uucp at noao.edu
           Dave Van Buren           dave at tapir.caltech.edu
                Ann Burgess         aburgess at atnf.csiro.au
                Bob Burns           bburns at polaris.cv.nrao.edu
             Howard Bushouse        bushouse at iuegtc.dnet.nasa.gov
               Mark Calabretta      mcalabre at macabre.cv.nrao.edu
              Hulya CalIskan        jk017 at triuvm11.bitnet
               Bill Carson          brighton%phuket.uucp%pixar.uucp at next.com
              Carol Christian       carolc at ssl.berkeley.edu
              Chris Churchill       starglob at helios.ucsc.edu
              Chris Clark           chris at cfht.hawaii.edu
               Rick Coates          rick at ateq.com
            Bruce C Cogan           bcc900 at cscgpo.anu.edu.au
             Judith Cohen           jlc at deimos.caltech.edu
                Jim Cole            jimc at 3cpu.rain.com
               Mike Collins         mcollins at phx.mcd.mot.com
            Mark E. Cornell         cornell at puck.as.utexas.edu
               Bill Cotton          bcotton at gorilla.cv.nrao.edu
               Carl Covatto         ccovatto at jupiter.nmt.edu
             Dennis Crabtree        crabtree at dao.nrc.ca
         Malcolm J. Currie          cur at starlink.rutherford.ac.uk
           Chris J. Davis           chris at airdata.socal.com
               Mike Davis           davis at naic.edu
            Lindsey Davis           davis at noao.edu
            Carl A. Dobson          cad at ssl.berkeley.edu
                Art Dong            atos at cac.washington.edu
          Elwood C. Downey          e_downey at hwking.cca.cr.rockwell.com
              Frank Drake           drake at dragon.ulowell.edu
              Chris Dudley          dudley at galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu
                    Dying           vesper%luna.decnet at indiana.edu
                Ron Ekers           rekers at atnf.csiro.au
               Rick Ellis           rick at ofa123.fidonet.org
           Albrecht Ernst           ernst at infpav4.kfk.de
                Ian Evans           evans at fos.stsci.edu
             Martin Ewing           ewing-martin at cs.yale.edu
              Allen Farris          farris at stsci.edu
            Eric D. Feigelson       edf at astro.psu.edu
               Tony Ferro           tony at quasar.la.asu.edu
              david fisher          fish at helios.ucsc.edu
              Chris Flatters        cflatter at greystoke.cv.nrao.edu
             Murray Forbes          forbesmc at matai.vuw.ac.nz
            Thierry Forveille       forveill at gag.observ-gr.fr
                Per Friberg         friberg at jach.hawaii.edu
          Priscilla Frisch          frisch at galadriel.uchicago.edu
              Terry Gaetz           gaetz at julian.uwo.ca
                Bob Garwood         bgarwood at sngldsh.cv.nrao.edu
              FRANK GHIGO           fghigo at lodestar.gb.nrao.edu
                    Gilligan        pcp2g at karma.astro.virginia.edu
              Frank Giovane         fgiovane at nhqvax.dnet.nasa.gov
               John Glaspey         glaspey at cfht.hawaii.edu
              Brian Glendenning     bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu
              Orhan GOKCOL          ucgokcol at tritu.bitnet
             Daniel Golombek        golombek at stsci.edu
           James P. Goltz           frost at helix.nih.gov
              Steve Grandi          grandi at noao.edu
             Andrew Gray            agray at atnf.csiro.au
           James T. Green           jgreen at nike.calpoly.edu
               Eric Greisen         egreisen at polaris.cv.nrao.edu
              Gerry Grieve          grieve at geop.ubc.ca
             Gaston Groisman        gaston at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
          Edward J. Groth           groth at pupgg.princeton.edu
                Bob Hanisch         hanisch at stsci.edu
              Wendy Harrison        harrison at cfht.hawaii.edu
              Booth Hartley         booth at ipac.caltech.edu
               Jeff Hayes           hayes at stsci.edu
               Greg Hennessy        gsh7w at fermi.clas.virginia.edu
               Tony Hewitt          hewitt at aslpet.med.ge.com
             Coleen Hickman         hickman at cfht.hawaii.edu
               Mike Hicks           hicksm at lpl.arizona.edu
          ROBERT S. HILL            bhill at stars.gsfc.nasa.gov
                Tom Hocking         starman at unc.bitnet
               Phil Hodge           hodge at stsci.edu
           Bradford Holden          holden at helios.ucsc.edu
               John Horne           horne at cfht.hawaii.edu
            Julie A Hovencamp       zbsy at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu
             Victor Hughes          hughesv at qucdn.queensu.ca
            Stephen Hulbert         hulbert at stsci.edu
             Gareth Hunt            ghunt at nrao.edu
         Dr. Albert Hybl            hybl at umbc4.umbc.edu
            Takashi Isobe           ti at space.mit.edu
           Peter D. Jackson         jackson at cobecl.dnet.nasa.gov
             Markku Jaeaeskelaeinen t89mja at lucifer.tdb.uu.se
               Dave Jenner          davej at phast.phys.washington.edu
               Diab Jerius          dj at pelf.harvard.edu
             Justin Jonas           phjj at ruchem.ru.ac.za
             Dean C Josephson       dean at cfht.hawaii.edu
            Joel C. Justen          joel%crpi.uucp at uunet.uu.net
            Sheldon Kay             shelly at iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com
          Markus G. Kempf           kempf at rhrk.uni-kl.de
               John Kerr            john at cfht.hawaii.edu
                Bob Kibrick         kibrick at helios.ucsc.edu
              james kiley           jkiley at andy.bgsu.edu
             Edward King            eking at herca.jpl.nasa.gov
             N PAUL KUIN            kuin at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
                Tom Kuiper          kuiper at kuiper.jpl.nasa.gov
            Krishna Kunchithapadam  krisna at cs.wisc.edu
              Lukas Labhardt        labhardt at urz.unibas.ch
           Francois Lacoursiere     d353426 at uqam.bitnet
               Glen Langston        glangsto at saips.cv.nrao.edu
MICHAEL CHRISTOPHER LAPAGLIA        m953618 at mcdonald.nadn.navy.mil
           Robin C. LaPasha         ruslan%ecsvax.uucp at uncecs.edu
            Charles Lawrence        crl at eccles.caltech.edu
               D.A. Leahy           leahy at iras.ucalgary.ca
             Zoltan Levay           levay at stsci.edu
               Paul Leyland         pcl at oxford.ac.uk
               Greg Lindahl         gl8f at fermi.clas.virginia.edu
              Peter Linde           peter at astro.lu.se
                Bob Link            link at cfht.hawaii.edu
         Joseph St. Lucas           stlucas at gdwest.gd.com
               Lars Lundahl         lundahl at oso.chalmers.se
            William Lupton          william at keck.hawaii.edu
               Dyer Lytle           lytle at noao.edu
             Barney Magrath         magrath at cfht.hawaii.edu
             nakano makoto          mnakano at oita-cc.cc.oita-u.ac.jp
               Eric Mandel          eric at cfa242.harvard.edu
              Ralph Marson          rmarson at rp.csiro.au
             George Martin          gmartin at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
               Mark McCaughrean     mjm at as.arizona.edu
               Rick McGonegal       mcgonegr at noao.edu
            Stephen Meatheringham   sjm at merlin.anu.edu.au
              David Mehringer       dmehring at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
                Tom Metcalf         metcalf at maile.ifa.hawaii.edu
                Ken Mighell         mighell at merlin.anu.edu.au
          Eugene F. Milone          milone at acs.ucalgary.ca
             Stefan Mochnacki       stefan at vela.astro.utoronto.ca
              David Moffett         dpm at cs.purdue.edu
             Luis E Montenegro      luis at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
     Christopher B. Moore           cmoore at alioth.mit.edu
        Christopher Mullins         cfm2h at fulton.seas.virginia.edu
              J. R. Munoz_Peiro     jmunoz at estsaa.dnet.nasa.gov
            KAYLENE MURDOCH         phys166 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz
                Dan Murphy          dpm at dtalk.cwa.com
                Pat Murphy          pmurphy at nrao.edu
              Steve Murray          ssm at cfa244.harvard.edu
             Robert Mutel           rlm at sunlight.physics.uiowa.edu
         Matthew J. Nelson          nelson at larry.sal.wisc.edu
               Mike Newberry        newberry at as.arizona.edu
               Dave Newman          daven at notable.com
         Patrick L. Nolan           pln at egret1.stanford.edu
                Ray Norris          rnorris at atnf.csiro.au
            Michael Olberg          olberg at oso.chalmers.se
              Nancy Oliversen       noliversen at iuegtc.dnet.nasa.gov
            Eric C. Olson           ericco at ssl.berkeley.edu
              Bruce Oneel           oneel at arupa.gsfc.nasa.gov
           Patricio Ortiz           ortiz at vela.astro.utoronto.ca
               Paul Palmer          palmerp at math.orst.edu
           Aliza R. Panitz          buglady at silver.lcs.mit.edu
              Scott Paswaters       paswater at pele.colorado.edu
              Harry Payne           payne at stsci.edu
                Tim Pearson         tjp at eccles.caltech.edu
         Jeffrey A. Pedelty         pedelty at jansky.gsfc.nasa.gov
            William Pence           pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
          George D. Phillies        phillies at wpi.wpi.edu
           The Daft Pict            mclean at shadow.stsci.edu
                Joe Plassmann       joep at asgard.lpl.arizona.edu
        Jose Daniel Ponz            jdp at vilspa.dnet.nasa.gov
               Tony Putman          tonyp at ucthpx.uct.ac.za
              Ernst Raimond         exr at nfra.nl
              Kavan Ratnatunga      kavan at merlin.anu.edu.au
              Somak Raychaudhury    somak at cfa203.harvard.edu
               Gail Reichert        reichert at rosgip.gsfc.nasa.gov
          Mike "IR" Ressler         ressler at galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu
              Brian Reynolds        reynolds at fsg.com
         GUENTER R. RIEGLER         griegler at nasamail.nasa.gov
P. von Ballmos-E. del Rio           pvb at cix.cict.fr
            Greg N. Roberts         roberts at orion.arc.nasa.gov
            Andreas Roemer          andi at comet.gold.sub.org
              Chris Rogers          crogers at drao.nrc.ca
              Steve Rooke           rooke at noao.edu
             Arnold Rots            arots at xebec.gsfc.nasa.gov
             Robert Rutledge        rutledge at space.mit.edu
             Gustaf Rydbeck         gustaf at oso.chalmers.se
               Skip Schaller        skip at as.arizona.edu
              ERWIN SCHMERLING      eschmerling at nasamail.nasa.gov
            Juergen Schmidt         p137jsm at mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
            Paul A. Scowen          uk1 at spacsun.rice.edu
                Rob Seaman          seaman at noao.edu
               Ajai Sehgal          ajai at sce.carleton.ca
              Nigel Sharp           sharp at vela.tuc.noao.edu
          Nishimura Shiro           rnishim at c1.mtk.nao.ac.jp
               Dave Shone           dshone at nrao.edu
             Steinn Sigurdsson      steinly at topaz.ucsc.edu
             Michal Simon           msimon at ccmail.sunysb.edu
           Jhs John Simonetti       jhs at astro.phys.vt.edu
              Bobby Song            song at cfht.hawaii.edu
           Ignatios Souvatzis       souva at 28.808.dnet.nasa.gov
          Robert W. Spiker          rws3n at astsun9.astro.virginia.edu
               Ralf Stephan         hagbard at ark.abg.sub.org
            Carolyn Stern           stern at jasra.harvard.edu
           Peter B. Stetson         stetson at dao.nrc.ca
               Mark Stevens         stevens at stsci.edu
             Thomas Stingl          stingl at gate.fzi.de
              Cliff Stoll           stoll at ocf.berkeley.edu
               Jose Suarez          suarez at as.arizona.edu
              Denis Sullivan        sullivan at emf.vuw.ac.nz
              Ralph Sutherland      ralph at merlin.anu.edu.au
              Peter Teuben          teuben at astro.umd.edu
            William Thompson        thompson at serts.gsfc.nasa.gov
               Rich Thomson         rthomson at dsd.es.com
         Michael H. Tipping         greywolf at vesta.unm.edu
               Doug Tody            tody at noao.edu
             Tanabe Toshihiko       ltanabe at c1.mtk.nao.ac.jp
               Dean Tucker          tucker at helios.ucsc.edu
              Tasso Tzioumis        atzioumi at atnf.csiro.au
              Frank Valdes          valdes at noao.edu
               Dirk Valk            dirk at spacsun.rice.edu
                Tas van.Ommen       tas at tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
    Any noun can be verbed          warnock at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
             Edward Vielmetti       emv at msen.com
           WOLFGANG VOGES           whv at mpe.dnet.nasa.gov
               P.T. Wallace         ptw at starlink.rutherford.ac.uk
            Stephen Walton          swalton at solaria.csun.edu
               Alan Watson          alan at uwast.astro.wisc.edu
          George M. Weaver          weaver at astro.psu.edu
                Don Wells           dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu
               Mark Wieringa        mwiering at atnf.csiro.au
                Dan Wilcox          wilcox at cfht.hawaii.edu
               Tony Willis          twillis at drao.nrc.ca
        Christopher Willmer         cnaw at helios.ucsc.edu
                rob woiccak         rewoicc at erenj.bitnet
              Donna Womble          womble at cass05.dnet.nasa.gov
                 Al Wootten         awootten at polaris.cv.nrao.edu
              Diana Worrall         dmw at cfa246.harvard.edu
                Guy Worthey         worthey at helios.ucsc.edu
                Jim Wright          jwright at cfht.hawaii.edu
            Ryan J. Wyatt           rjw at regulus.rice.edu
               Bill Wyatt           wyatt at cfa214.harvard.edu
              Peter Yee             yee at spectre.arc.nasa.gov
                 A. Young           ayoung at eso.org
             Nelson Zarate          nelson at stsci.edu
            Yun Fei Zhang           zhang at buast0.bu.edu

The following 14 people voted NO:
                                    snielsen at computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk
           James C. Barrett         barrett at cc.gatech.edu
                    BI08000         bi08 at utep.bitnet
               P.J. Boulay          pjb4288 at ultb.isc.rit.edu
           Paulo da Costa           dacosta at prl.philips.nl
              Helge Hauglin         helgeha at ifi.uio.no
             Roland Kaltefleiter    kaltef at theo-physik.uni-kiel.dbp.de
              Brian Kenney          kenney at hsi86.hsi.com
            Quincey Koziol          koziol at ncsa.uiuc.edu
                 Ed McGuire         emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu
              a. m. rushton         rushton at stsci.edu
            Dave V. Schaller        schaller at hsi86.hsi.com
            Paul J. Schinder        schinder at leprss.gsfc.nasa.gov
                    SNEERINGER      acs97393 at zach.fit.edu
-- 
Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
520 Edgemont Road                                 Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N