Subject: Activation of alt.sci.astro.fits

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 06:27:50 GMT

I have formed this group in order to provide a forum for discussion of
technical issues related to the FITS [Flexible Image Transport System]
data format, the standard data interchange format of astronomy
worldwide.  The idea of a newsgroup for FITS was recommended by Trond
Melen of the European Southern Observatory in Garching, FRG.

I discussed the concept of this newsgroup in my annual presentation on
the state of FITS, made in the morning business session of the Working
Group for Astronomical Software held on Tuesday 28th May (yesterday),
at the summer meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle.
I did not sense any opposition to the idea among the people present at
the WGAS meeting, and so the group has been created.

I do not intend to make any more transmissions on this newsgroup until
Preben Grosbol (Chairman of the IAU [International Astronomical Union]
FITS Working Group) has posted to the newsgroup. I would also like to
see a posting by Barry Schlesinger (the FITS "hotline" person at the
FITS Office at NSSDC-NOST). 

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
Edgemont Road                                     Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N

---

From: bankst at matai.vuw.ac.nz
Date: 30 May 91 22:08:54 GMT

> Melen of the European Southern Observatory in Garching, FRG.

I'm pleased to see this group being formed, and would like to add my
voice to its support. I think its an excellent way for us to all keep
up on the developments in FITS, and find help if we need it. 

-- 
  Timothy Banks, Physics Department, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ. 
   Bankst at matai.vuw.ac.nz, bankst at rata.vuw.ac.nz, astrofiz at rs1.vuw.ac.nz
"I know you're out there - I can feel the popcorn!" Std. Disclaimer applies.