Subject: Re: is there an ftp archive site for std | c++ sw | test data

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1991 00:52:35 GMT

In article <ALANS.91Sep19122040 at abraham.juliet.ll.mit.edu>
alans at juliet.ll.mit.edu ( Alan Stein) writes:

 AS> ... I believe... that my copy of the "FITS standard"
 AS> specification is outdated, and would like to obtain a current
 AS> version...

Do anonymous-FTP to fits.cx.nrao.edu [192.33.115.8] and look in
directory FITS/doc. You will find several interesting documents:

-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb        169172 Jul 25 22:45 bintable.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb         29273 May 27 14:36 bintable.tex
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb           243 Jun 16 00:43 fits-docs.bib
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb        363903 Jul 21 17:56 fits_standard.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb          7201 Jul 21 17:58 fits_standard.readme
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb         99523 Jun 27  1990 fitsdbmsapp.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb         42193 Jun 27  1990 fitsdbmsapp.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb         20603 Jun 27  1990 fitsdbmsapp.tex
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb          7775 Feb 28  1989 fitsfp89.txt
-r--r--r--  1 dwells   vlb        364130 Jun 16 00:16 vf.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 dwells   vlb         71244 Jun 16 00:45 vf.tex

The "fits_standard" is the most recent draft (version 0.2) of the NASA
version of the FITS standard.  The "bintable" is the May draft of the
BINTABLE extension draft standard, and it should be regarded as
superceding the binary table appendix in the NASA standard document.

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
Edgemont Road                                     Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N