Subject: Some Discussion?

From: pwb at newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks)
Date: 25 Jul 91 03:38:46 GMT

OK guys, I assume this group was createed to talk about FITS format
astro images. Correct? SO lets talk about FITS instead of talking
about talking about replies to test messages talking about replies
to test replies to see if a message arrives or not! How many people are
taking any notice of this group anyway? - Is it a closed shop or
can anyone with something to contribute join in?

Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb at newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off. 
AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

---

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1991 20:19:46 GMT

In article <1983 at usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> pwb at newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul
W. Brooks) writes:

 PWB> OK guys, I assume this group was createed to talk about FITS
 PWB> format astro images. Correct? 

	=-=-=-=-= the original formation message: =-=-=-=-=
Newsgroups: alt.sci.astro.fits
From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Subject: Activation of alt.sci.astro.fits
Date: Thu, 30 May 1991 06:27:50 GMT
Distribution: alt
Organization: National Radio Astronomy Observatory, Charlottesville, VA

I have formed this group in order to provide a forum for discussion of
technical issues related to the FITS [Flexible Image Transport System]
data format, the standard data interchange format of astronomy
worldwide.  The idea of a newsgroup for FITS was recommended by Trond
Melen of the European Southern Observatory in Garching, FRG.

I discussed the concept of this newsgroup in my annual presentation on
the state of FITS, made in the morning business session of the Working
Group for Astronomical Software held on Tuesday 28th May (yesterday),
at the summer meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle.
I did not sense any opposition to the idea among the people present at
the WGAS meeting, and so the group has been created.

I do not intend to make any more transmissions on this newsgroup until
Preben Grosbol (Chairman of the IAU [International Astronomical Union]
FITS Working Group) has posted to the newsgroup. I would also like to
see a posting by Barry Schlesinger (the FITS "hotline" person at the
FITS Office at NSSDC-NOST). 

				=-=-=-=-=-=

Barry Schlesinger is now listening, and has posted to the newsgroup. 

Preben Grosbol was having some technical difficulty with his newsfeed
at ESO last week, which is why I transmitted several test messages.
Then Preben left Garching to go to the IAU meeting in Buenos Aires.
According to the "Final Scientific Programme", Commission 5
(Astronomical Data) is meeting _today_ to discuss "Astronomical data
(including FITS standards)". I presume that Preben, in his role as the
Chairman of the IAU FITS Working Group, will give a report at today's
session on the activities of the WG during the past three years. The
IAU 21st General Assembly extends through 1-August, so I do not expect
to see a posting from Preben until sometime in August.

 PWB> SO lets talk about FITS instead of talking about talking about
 PWB> replies to test messages talking about replies to test replies
 PWB> to see if a message arrives or not!  

Those who have posted questions to the group during the past two
months have received private Email replies from me. I have chosen not
to issue followups until Preben is also able to participate. However,
Preben has told me that he approves of the formation of the newsgroup
and that he intends to participate. Also, Barry has essentially
suggested that we begin real operation of the newsgroup. So, I will
change my policy to some extent, and will begin to respond to selected
postings, and I encourage others to do likewise.

 PWB> How many people are taking any notice of this group anyway?

Once it becomes clear that this newsgroup has become accepted as _the_
forum for discussing FITS issues, it will be interesting to conduct a
survey. If the numbers suggest that a formal USENET vote would be
likely to be successful, then I think that we should move to change
the name of the newsgroup to sci.astro.fits.

 PWB> Is it a closed shop or can anyone with something to contribute
 PWB> join in?  

My intention in forming the newsgroup is that _anyone_, _anywhere_ is
welcome to discuss FITS in this place, and that that person can expect
that knowledgeable FITS people will be listening. So, if you have
something you want to say, go ahead.

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
Edgemont Road                                     Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N