Subject: Re: wrong name for this group

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1991 22:55:27 GMT

In article <21022 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> sla at fast.ucsc.edu (Steve Allen) writes:
   In article <1991Sep18.114743.9862 at uwovax.uwo.ca>
	17001_1511 at uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
   >Again I say, should this not have been  sci.astro.fits  ????

There is now general agreement in the FITS community that our
long-term goal should be to create sci.astro.fits.

 SA> only 46 messages... not exactly high traffic...

Several key groups in the FITS community have not yet demonstrated
that they are able to participate in this newsgroup. Our goal must be
to create a true worldwide discussion forum for FITS-related matters.

 SA> ... Nor do I believe that we actually have 100 subscribers...

FITS is a matter of such importance in astronomy, throughout the world
and across the entire range of observing frequencies and for both
space-based and ground-based astronomy, that I will be surprised if we
have trouble meeting the 100-excess-yes-votes test when the moment
comes.

Preben Grosbol is currently, this week, polling the European FITS
Committee. In a message to me only 12 hours ago he said: "On the
USEnet News, there are still a number of people who do not get the
News or only with significant difficulty. I will make the final
statistics end next week. I can already see that we cannot rely on
News only. Some link/exchange to normal e-mail is needed." His
conclusion regarding the need for an exploder is consistent with my
own knowledge of the community. I expect that we will soon be
operating an exploder with a bi-directional gateway to this newsgroup.

 SA> ... does anybody want to act as the central administration site
 SA> [for a rollcall and/or a USEnet vote]? 

You can expect that I will volunteer for that duty. I created this
newsgroup. 

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
Edgemont Road                                     Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N