Subject: FITS V3.0 available from NRL

From: koffley at nrlvx1.nrl.navy.mil
Date: 27 Sep 91 14:44:51 GMT

NRL has a mail server which will send the FITS version 3 package to you if
you have no FTP connectivity to GSFC. To use it, send a mail message containing
only the following lines in the body :
	 HELP
	 LIST FITSIO3
	 SEND FITSIO3

The last line will send the package as a multi part mail message. To recreate,
(assumes you are a VMS site) simply concatenate all the messages comprising the
software package into a single file and execute it as a DCL command of the
form:	 at filename

You will see informational messages telling you that it is unpacking the
source code for you. The address you want to send to is :

			NRL_ARCHIVE at nrlvax.nrl.navy.mil

If you are incapable of dealing with the above methods (because you are a
UNIX site perhaps), send mail to me or to nrl_archive-mgr at nrlvax.nrl.navy.mil
and I'll try to accomodate you. 

I have dabbled with FITS i.e. I used another package to convert a GIF image
to a FITS file and then used the FITS package to read the data. It does work !
I am not an astronomer/physicist, I am the site system manager, network manager
and security manager so don't ask me for too many details on FITS per se.
There are other people who read this group who are much more conversant than I
on FITS. I only verified that it worked in a limited test case or two.
-- 
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
< Joe Koffley                        KOFFLEY at NRLVAX.NRL.NAVY.MIL             >
< Naval Research Laboratory          KOFFLEY at CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL                >
< Space Systems Division             AT&T  :  202-767-0894                   >
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

---

From: pence at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( William Pence)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1991 16:12:37 GMT

In general I would discourage users from obtaining 2nd hand copies of the
FITSIO software because one may not get the latest version.  As a case in
point, the new version 3.01 of FITSIO, which fixes a relatively minor bug,
was released just last Friday.  Currently there a 2 ways to receive the 
most recent version of FITSIO:

1) by anonymous ftp from  tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov  in subdirectory pub/fitsio3

2) over the SPAN network (e.g., with DECNET copy) from

      NDADSA::HEASARC:[EXOSAT.XANADU.FITSIO.VERSION3]

If any users have difficulty accessing the files by either of these
methods, then they should send me a message.

-Bill Pence
 HEASARC/GSFC