Subject: Re: FITS V3.0 available from NRLREAD/NEXT

From: koffley at nrlvx1.nrl.navy.mil
Date: 1 Oct 91 10:29:29 GMT

In article <pence.686247157 at heawk1>, pence at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov 
( William Pence) writes:

>In general I would discourage users from obtaining 2nd hand copies of the
>FITSIO software because one may not get the latest version.  As a case in
>point, the new version 3.01 of FITSIO, which fixes a relatively minor bug,
>was released just last Friday.  Currently there a 2 ways to receive the 
>most recent version of FITSIO:
>
>1) by anonymous ftp from  tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov  in subdirectory pub/fitsio3
>
>2) over the SPAN network (e.g., with DECNET copy) from
>
>      NDADSA::HEASARC:[EXOSAT.XANADU.FITSIO.VERSION3]
>
>If any users have difficulty accessing the files by either of these
>methods, then they should send me a message.
>
Bill,

   I wasn't trying to subvert GSFC's efforts here. The FITS package was placed
here as a service to our local community who for the most part are not too
saavy about the network at large and even less so about FTP or DECNET. I only
posted to the group because I figured there might be more of the same out 
in the general population. Everyone seems to know how to send e-mail. 

BTW, was there a general announcement that I missed re: 3.01 ?? I didn't see
it in this group. Is there some forum that such an announcement would take
place without having to FTP to GSFC to find out ? I only ask because the only
reason I would have known there was a 3.00 was the announcement in this
group.
---
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
< Joe Koffley                        KOFFLEY at NRLVAX.NRL.NAVY.MIL             >
< Naval Research Laboratory          KOFFLEY at CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL                >
< Space Systems Division             AT&T  :  202-767-0894                   >
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

---

From: pence at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( William Pence)
Date: 1 Oct 91 15:54:16 GMT

>reason I would have known there was a 3.00 was the announcement in this

I am unsure of the best way to advertise new releases of the FITSIO software,
especially since minor bug fixes or enhancements will probably be released
nearly every week for the next month or 2.  Would users prefer to see an
announcement here, or should they be expected to check the distribution
directories (by FTP or DECNET) to see if there is a newer version?  In any
case, I would post a message here whenever a significant new release was
available.

< Bill Pence, HEASARC         pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov  or  LHEAVX::PENCE  >