Subject: saoimage on a DECstation 3100

From: elwin at hubcap.clemson.edu (lawrence brown)
Date: 14 Nov 91 17:41:30 GMT

In article <DWELLS.91Nov11181008 at fits.cx.nrao.edu> dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells) writes:
>Dear FITS Friends,
>
>Preben Grosbol (MIDAS Group  at  European Southern Observatory, Chairman
>European FITS Committee, Chairman IAU FITS Working Group) is visiting
>in Charlottesville today, on his way home from the data analysis
>meeting in Tucson. He brought two FITS test tapes with him, a DDS DAT
>tape and a Exabyte tape, with the same 11 files on each in order to
>test interoperability between our various systems in the two media. I
>have copied the DAT tape to the anonymous-FTP server on
>fits.cx.nrao.edu [192.33.115.8] in directory FITS/TestFiles/PG91:
>

Well I got the files and this finally motivated me to try to fix
my saoimage program.  Saoimage on the DECstation seems incapable
of reading  fits files with real numbers.  It does fine with
"psuedo fits" files with the numbers in the wrong (Little
Endian)  byte order.  The "-dfits" flag which is supposed to
take care of this (?) seems to have no effect at all.  Has
anyone gotten this to work on a DECstation or a VAX themselves?
Does anyone have any ideas?  Anything is appreciated.

Larry Brown
elwin at gamma.phys.clemson.edu