Subject: Re: FITS

From: pmurphy at baboon.cv.nrao.edu (Pat Murphy)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 15:19:13 GMT

In article <7822 at edfder1.fr> of comp.graphics, philippe at cli52ch.edf.fr
(Philippe SUIGNARD) writes:

   What is FITS ? Where can I find it ?

Someone else has already answered the second question (although note
that several existing astronomy-basedimage processing packages already
support FITS, e.g. AIPS, IRAF, STSDAS, MIDAS, etc. etc.

As for "What is FITS", it stands for "Flexible Image Transport
System", it was devised in the early 80's by a handful of astronomers
and programmers at several institutions worldwide as a way of allowing
for easy interchange of astronomical data.  The primary reference is
Wells, Greisen, and Harten (1981) Astronomy and Astrophysics
Supplement 44, p. 363.  There are other follow-on articles (p. 371 of
the same volume for one) but I don't have the references offhand, only
the drafts and preprints of them.  You should check the
alt.sci.astro.fits newsgroup if you want to know about ongoing debate
over the future direction of fits, or if you have any questions (note
I have referred any followup there).

Hope this helps.
				- Pat
--
==========================================================================
| Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                Scientific Programming Analyst |
| National Radio Astronomy Observatory    Net:   pmurphy at nrao.edu        |
| 520 Edgemont Road                       or:    uunet!nrao.edu!pmurphy  |
| Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475          Phone: (804) 296-0372          |
|      "I don't believe in the no-win scenario"  --- James T. Kirk       |
==========================================================================