Subject: FITSIO on a DECstation 5000

From: pedelty at jansky.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey A. Pedelty)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1992 20:52:34 GMT

I'm looking for anyone who's successfully built Bill Pence's FITSIO
package on a DECstation 5000.  The following builds his example1
program without apparent error, but the program bombs while writing
the test FITS file.

f77 -c fitsio.for
f77 -c fitsdec.for
f77 -o example1 example1.for fitsio.o fitsdec.o

Do I need to specify anything else on the f77 command line?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Pedelty

BTW: His package works just fine on a Silicon Graphics IRIS.  Use
the fitssun.for specific routines, and compile with -static and
-old_rl options.  The -old_rl is not needed if you're running pre-
3.2 IRIX.

---
Jeffrey Pedelty                     | pedelty at jansky.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 936                            | Phone: 301-286-3065, Fax: x3221
NASA / GSFC, Greenbelt, MD  20771   | "We're not making this up"

---

From: Lucio Chiappetti - IFC Milano <EXOSAT at IMISIAM.MI.CNR.IT>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1992 14:17:30 GMT

Jeffrey Pedelty wrote
>program without apparent error, but the program bombs while writing

 I have done it.
 There are two known problems as far as I am aware of.

1) compiling fitsio.f and fitsdec.f as they are implies that the entire
   object file is relocated. This applies to any Unix, I guess (at least
   the same is true for Sun). This will just make your executable bigger,
   but it will work.
   I personally splitted fitsio.f and fitsdec.f with fsplit and then
   compiled each of them individually, and used ar to make a libfitsio.a
   (I have a private utility to do all this).
   Bill Pence told me Lick people have a makefile for the same purpose.

2) there is a problem in routine ftgbyx. This tries to extend a file, and
   has to detect the EOF. Unfortunately it does this testing the error code
   ios. Using DEC Fortran the test is done on the wrong value (possibly an
   earlier compiler worked like that, ie like on Sun, ios.lt.0). I replaced
   the check with ios.eq.36 (ie. same as VMS version of ftgbyx).

I will provide an excerpt of my correspondence with Bill Pence to
Jeffrey Pedelty in a separate mail.

                                         Lucio Chiappetti
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucio Chiappetti
Istituto di Fisica Cosmica e Tecnologie Relative - CNR
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy
Phone : +39 2 2363542 / 2665237 / 2665753
Telex : 313839 MUACNR I
Fax   : +39 2 2362946
E-mail: EXOSAT at IMISIAM           (Bitnet)
        EXOSAT at IMISIAM.MI.CNR.IT (Internet)
        IFCTR::LUCIO             (SPAN/DECNET)
Bitnet node IMISIAM is Internet node (IMI)SIAM.MI.CNR.IT alias 192.65.131.1
Decnet node IFCTR is 38.698 (39610) and Internet node IFCTR.MI.CNR.IT alias
192.65.131.40.
Acknowledge-To: <EXOSAT at IMISIAM.MI.CNR.IT>