Subject: splitting monolith Fortran (was Re: FITSIO on a DECstation 5000)

From: sla at helios.ucsc.edu (Steve Allen)
Date: 31 Jan 92 20:31:41 GMT

In article <9201310826.AA20186 at fits.cx.nrao.edu> EXOSAT at IMISIAM.MI.CNR.IT (Lucio Chiappetti - IFC Milano) writes:
>   I personally splitted fitsio.f and fitsdec.f with fsplit and then
>   compiled each of them individually, and used ar to make a libfitsio.a
>   (I have a private utility to do all this).
>   Bill Pence told me Lick people have a makefile for the same purpose.
>
>                                         Lucio Chiappetti

The "Lick people" is me, and I have a make procedure and a version of
"fsplit" which know how to install a new update of the FITSIO library.
It splits everything intelligently, i.e., if the new version of any given
module is identical to the old one, it does not replace it.  This means that
when I install a new version of FITSIO, I only compile the routines which
actually have changed.  This saves bundles of time.

It's not guaranteed to be completely robust, but I'm willing to distribute
it (or post it if I get lots and lots of requests)

Steve Allen
_______________________________________________________________________________
Steve Allen          | That was the equation!         |   sla at helios.ucsc.edu
UCO/Lick Observatory | Existence!...Survival must     | If the UC were opining,
Santa Cruz, CA 95064 | cancel out programming! -- Ruk | it wouldn't tell me.