Subject: (IUE)IMAGE extension

From: "Malcolm J. Currie" <CUR%STARLINK.RUTHERFORD.AC.UK at VTVM2.CC.VT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1992 17:29:00 GMT

Please can someone confirm that the only difference between the IMAGE
and IUEIMAGE extensions a question of name, because "IMAGE", being
generic, is reserved until or if the extension is approved by the FITS
committees.  In other words does the IUEIMAGE extension assume knowledge
of IUE-specific keywords?

Until the binary-table conventions for handling arrays become
established I am planning to use the (IUE)IMAGE extension for the export
of hierarchical datasets containing quality and/or variance data in
addition to the main data array.  Generally, for our datasets there is
little wastage of space since the main headers will apply globally, save
the mandatory headers, BSCALE, BZERO, EXTLEVEL and EXTNAME.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Malcolm J. Currie   |     Span: RLVAD::CUR
Starlink Project    |     Janet: CUR at UK.AC.RUTHERFORD.STARLINK
                    |     +44-235-21900 x6735
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: dwells at fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1992 17:08:06 GMT

[The following message arrived at my mailbox, probably in my guise as
"fitsbits-request at fits.cx.nrao.edu", to which it may have been
addressed (rather than to "fitsbits at fits.cx.nrao.edu"); the header is
confusing, and I am unsure what happened.  -Don]

From: jmunoz at estsaa.DNET.NASA.GOV (J. R. Munoz_Peiro, SSD/SA/ISO
	(ESTEC), Ext. 3564) 
To: "fitsbits-request at fits.cx.nrao.edu" at EAST.DNET.NASA.GOV
Subject: RE: (IUE)IMAGE extension
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 92 10:50:32 -0500

From:	EAST::"fitsbits-request at fits.cx.nrao.edu" 13-FEB-1992 20:28:30.62
To:	FITSBITS at FITS.CX.NRAO.EDU
CC:	
Subj:	(IUE)IMAGE extension

>the mandatory headers, BSCALE, BZERO, EXTLEVEL and EXTNAME.

   You are right, IUEIMAGE is just a temporary extension name till it is
 approved by the FITS committees. I originally intended to call it just 
 IMAGE but the European FITS committee recomended me to attach the 'IUE' part
 because it was initially born to accomodate IUE data (till wider usage 
 could be found).

   As you may check, the extension doesn't contain any specific IUE keywords.

   Regards

      J.R. Munoz Peiro
      ESA/ESTEC/SAI

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
520 Edgemont Road                                 Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N