Subject: RFD: sci.astro.fits

From: sla at helios.ucsc.edu (Steve Allen)
Date: 8 Feb 92 22:46:34 GMT

I support the creation of the new newsgroup sci.astro.fits

The FITS standard is becoming more important for people both inside and
outside the professional astronomical community.  NASA is greatly
accelerating the production of CD-ROMs containing astronomical data from
many space missions.  Much of these data is being written using FITS format.
These data are of interest not only to researchers, but also to the
general public.  Furthermore, the existence of high-bandwidth networks
has resulted in the routine shipment of newly acquired astronomical data
>from site to site.  New instruments and new demands for systematic
archiving of data require discussion to allow evolution of the standard.

The creation of the group alt.sci.astro.fits has allowed UCO/Lick Observatory
to observe and participate in discussions about the evolution of the FITS
standard.  This was not possible before the advent of a.s.a.f, because
limited travel funds prevented contact between the appropriate and
interested parties.  The creation of sci.astro.fits will make these
discussions available to even more sites.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Steve Allen          | That was the equation!         |   sla at helios.ucsc.edu
UCO/Lick Observatory | Existence!...Survival must     | If the UC were opining,
Santa Cruz, CA 95064 | cancel out programming! -- Ruk | it wouldn't tell me.