Subject: On RFD: sci.astro.fits

From: <eso!pgrosbol at fits.cx.nrao.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1992 11:29:21 GMT

Garching, Feb. 7, 1992

The FITS data format is used widely in the astronomical community and
is essential for the exchange of data between institutes.  Thus, it is
important that questions, comments and information on the standard
easily can be circulated in the community. This not only to clarify
possible ambiguities and implementation issues but also to discuss
future extensions to it.

The FITS community was using normal or electronic mail for these
purposes until last year when an 'alt' news group was created.
Although e-mail can be used, it has two major disadvantages:
 a) it limits discussion to a predefined group, and
 b) broadcast of questions is not effective.

These issues are solved by using the USEnet News. I believe it is very
important to have an open discussion on widely used, common matters
like FITS. Although the astronomical community only is counted in
thousands, the availability of CD-ROM's with astronomical images and
tables in FITS format will open the discussion among a large number of
other users with general interest in astronomy.

Thus, I strongly support the creating of a 'sci.astro.fits' News group.

Preben Grosbol
Chairman, IAU FITS WG