Subject: FITS read and write on PC

From: benedict at chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict)
Date: 24 Mar 92 14:04:37 GMT

Does anyone have routines to read and write FITS format files on a PC
in C?  The undergraduate telescope at U.T. has a Star I CCD camera on
it, and with due apology to the people at Photometrics, the control
and data-reduction software is lousy.  I'm re-writing the software to
fit the needs of a specific project, but we're doing our data
reduction on IRAF and either need to write the files in IRAF format or
in FITS.  I'd personally prefer FITS, but don't want to have to go
through the FITS specification to write the routines to handle the
files if I don't have to.

Tom Benedict

---

From: swalton at aurora.csun.edu (Stephen Walton)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1992 21:44:43 GMT

In article <BENEDICT.92Mar24080437 at chaos.utexas.edu> benedict at chaos.utexas.edu (Thomas Benedict) writes:
>in C?

Get a copy of PCVISTA.  It is a complete, small, FITS-based image processing
package for PC's from UC Berkeley.  Not sure of the current cost;  you can
e-mail Michael Richmond at richmond at bllac.berkeley.edu.  A description
of the system is in Treffers and Richmond, P.A.S.P. _101_, 725.

It comes with complete sources, including a set of subroutines for reading
and writing FITS images in C.
-- 
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
 "Anyone who remembers the sixties probably wasn't there."---Robin Williams

---

From: warnock at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Archie Warnock)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1992 17:46:00 GMT

In article <1992Mar28.214443.28076 at csun.edu>, swalton at aurora.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes...
>package for PC's from UC Berkeley.  Not sure of the current cost;  you can

Unless the I/O has been extensively modified from the version documented 
in PASP, it's hardly complete.  It has/had a number of restrictions on 
the types of data it handled, the keywords present in the header and the 
names of the files it would access.  It does, however, include an 
impressive number of image processing functions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Archie Warnock                     Internet:  warnock at nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- Hughes STX                         SPAN:      NSSDC::WARNOCK
-- NASA/GSFC                          "Hail To The Redskins!"