Subject: FITSIO V3.21 is available

From: pence at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( William Pence)
Date: 8 Jul 92 20:49:34 GMT

FITSIO - Version 3.21
                           8 July 1992

This is to announce that Version 3.21 of the FITSIO package is now available. 
FITSIO is a powerful yet simple to use Fortran subroutine interface for reading
and writing files in FITS format.  

This 3.21 version of FITSIO is 100% upwardly compatible with the previous 3.20
version and contains the following new features:

  NEW SUBROUTINES:
	- support for Lehey Fortran on IBM PCs
	- new more robust family of subroutines to read and write the required
          header keywords
	- 3 additional subroutines to make it easier to read or modify header 
          keywords

  ENHANCEMENTS:
	- improved documentation file
	- changed the way FITSIO handles arrays of ASCII strings to be 
	  compatible with the proposed binary table format
	- rewrote several of the previously machine-specific subroutines
	  in portable Fortran-77, to make it easier to port FITSIO to new
	  machines.
	- improved the functionality of several other subroutines

  BUG FIXES:
	- fixed 9 (relatively small) bugs in various FITSIO subroutines

For further details on these new features, see the 'release.doc' file
in the FITSIO distribution directory.

The FITSIO software, documentation, and example programs are available via
anonymous ftp from:

       ftp tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov   (128.183.8.77)

Then type the following:

        ftp>  user anonymous
        Password:               [type your username as a password]
        ftp>  cd pub/fitsio3    [to move to the version 3 subdirectory]
        ftp>  ls                [to see a list of the available files]
        ftp>  get read.me       [contains latest information about FITSIO]
        ftp>  get fitsio.doc    [complete user documentation]
        ftp>  get ...           [get any additional desired files]
        ftp>  quit

Alternatively, the FITSIO files may be copied from following SPAN/DECnet node:

   NDADSA::HEASARC:[EXOSAT.XANADU.FITS.FITSIO] 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. William Pence                 (Internet)  pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
HEASARC                           (SPAN)      LHEAVX::PENCE
Code 668                          Telephone:  (301)286-4599
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, MD 20771