Subject: FITS->gif,jpg,tiff etc

From: hyatt at tsc.cs.unc.edu (Brant Hyatt)
Date: 30 Jul 92 21:42:29 GMT

Does anyone know of or have written a utility that converts
fits to any other format?

Thanks,

Brant Hyatt
brant at sloth.astro.unc.edu

---

From: pmurphy at nrao.edu (Pat Murphy)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 03:25:02 GMT

> fits to any other format?

The pbmplus package that we have installed here (Dec 91 vintage I
believe) has fitstopgm, and once there you can use the pgm utilities
to convert it to just about whatever you want.  A quick run of archie
shows that pbmplus is available on ftp.uu.net:

    Location: /usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume26/pbmplus
       Directory drwxr-xr-x 00000512 1991 Dec 14 00:00:00 GMT pbmplus

I'm sure it's available elsewhere.  I don't keep track of the
comp.sources.misc newsgroup so I don't know if this is the latest
version or not.  

That said, I should say that it is NOT a sophisticated fits reader.
It knows about SIMPLE, BITPIX, NAXIS, NAXISn (n up to 3), DATAMIN,
DATAMAX, BZERO and BSCALE (but may not use them) and END.  That's it.
I have extracted the source for this from our pbmplus installation;
email me if you want it.

				- Pat
--
==========================================================================
| Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                Scientific Programming Analyst |
| National Radio Astronomy Observatory    Net:   pmurphy at nrao.edu        |
| 520 Edgemont Road                       or:    uunet!nrao.edu!pmurphy  |
| Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475          Phone: (804) 296-0372          |
|      "I don't believe in the no-win scenario"  --- James T. Kirk       |
==========================================================================