Subject: GreenBank CDROM

From: kuchar at plh.af.mil (Tom Kuchar)
Date: 17 Sep 92 19:09:07 GMT

I'm not certain this is the appropriate news group for this, but 
I suspect there are some who read this that may be able to help.

I've tried reading the above mentioned CDROM on a sparcstation 2.
However, when I try mounting it, I get an `invalid argument' error.
The same is true with the IRAS sky survey CDs I have.  Now, there's no
problem reading these on a PC w/ CDROM capacity, but the workstation
has a problem.  The demo discs supplied by SUN have no problems
mounting, just my data discs.  The SUN manuals are fairly simple to
follow, but give no diagnostic help for this.

Does this have something to do with the CDROM format?  If there's
a more appropriate newsgroup to post this query, please let me know.
As can be seen, I'm fairly unknowledgable about these matters.

-- 
Tom Kuchar			  
kuchar at buast7.bu.edu		  -or-                      kuchar at plh.af.mil
Department of Astronomy                              Phillips Laboratory/GPOB
Boston Univerity		                                  Hanscom AFB

---

From: cflatter at cv3.CV.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 22:17:29 GMT

>follow, but give no diagnostic help for this.

The Green Bank CD uses the High Sierra format (this was designed for
use with PCs running MS-Dog and is based on the MS-Dos file system).
Sun CDs use the BSD 4.2 file system which Sun's mount assumes by
default.  You need to specify that the disk uses the High Sierra file
system when you mount it.

Assuming that you mount CD-ROM file systems at /cdrom you need to use
the following command (as root).

mount -t hsfs -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom

Most CDs that do not carry UNIX specific software are likely to be in
High Sierra format.

	Chris Flatters
	cflatter at nrao.edu

---

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 92 09:24:50 ITA

On Thu, 17 Sep 1992 22:17:29 GMT you said:
>> .....
                         ---

 Arf, arf |

>mount -t hsfs -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom

  I do not have the CDROM referred by the previous correspondence, but
  I know of another possible problem with CDROMs on SUNs (this occurs
  for instance with the HST GSC CDROMs).
  Although one uses the mount statement as above (as far as I know that
  the only way to do it on Suns), one gets an "attribute" error and
  can see only directories but not files on tapes.

  There is a bit or byte somewhere in the definition of the format of
  the CD which allows or not to use filetypes longer than 3 chars.
  The Sun CD driver does not support this (which is used by the HST CDs)
  Sun calls it a "feature" (which means is not a "bug", but something they
  do not support and probably do not intend to support in the future)

  Instructions for a patch to the operating system kernel are available
  from STScI or from Sun (the one from STScI implies rebuiliding the
  kernel, the one from Sun patches two bytes in /vmunix directly and is
  simpler ... of course make a backup of the old kernel first |)

  Perhaps it would be appreciated if CDROM disributing institutions
  indicate on the CD whether one needs this patch or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
       A member of  G.ASS : Group for Astronomical Software Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR Milano        |         U N I C U I Q U E
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy    |          System  Manager
Internet: LUCIO at IFCTR.MI.CNR.IT            |           FORTUNAE SUAE
Decnet:   IFCTR::LUCIO (39610::LUCIO)      |
Bitnet:   EXOSAT at IMISIAM                   |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostScriptum:
It would be helpful for those like me which receive fitsbits by e-mail,
if the list identifies itself as  Sender: fitsbits  instead of
Sender: fitbsits-requests. I recall making a REPLY to a previous message
and getting bounced (or am I mixing up things ?)
I can do REPLY (goes to Reply-To if present or From), REPLY FROM (goes to
From) and REPLY SENDER (goes to Sender) but to reply to fitsbits (which
appears in the To field) I have to do REPLY ALL and then EXCLUDE all the
other addressees.