Subject: GreenBank CDROM

From: kuchar at plh.af.mil (Tom Kuchar)
Date: 17 Sep 92 19:09:07 GMT

I'm not certain this is the appropriate news group for this, but 
I suspect there are some who read this that may be able to help.

I've tried reading the above mentioned CDROM on a sparcstation 2.
However, when I try mounting it, I get an `invalid argument' error.
The same is true with the IRAS sky survey CDs I have.  Now, there's no
problem reading these on a PC w/ CDROM capacity, but the workstation
has a problem.  The demo discs supplied by SUN have no problems
mounting, just my data discs.  The SUN manuals are fairly simple to
follow, but give no diagnostic help for this.

Does this have something to do with the CDROM format?  If there's
a more appropriate newsgroup to post this query, please let me know.
As can be seen, I'm fairly unknowledgable about these matters.

-- 
Tom Kuchar			  
kuchar at buast7.bu.edu		  -or-                      kuchar at plh.af.mil
Department of Astronomy                              Phillips Laboratory/GPOB
Boston Univerity		                                  Hanscom AFB

---

From: cflatter at nrao.edu (Chris Flatters)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 22:17:29 GMT

>follow, but give no diagnostic help for this.

The Green Bank CD uses the High Sierra format (this was designed for
use with PCs running MS-Dog and is based on the MS-Dos file system).
Sun CDs use the BSD 4.2 file system which Sun's mount assumes by
default.  You need to specify that the disk uses the High Sierra file
system when you mount it.

Assuming that you mount CD-ROM file systems at /cdrom you need to use
the following command (as root).

mount -t hsfs -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom

Most CDs that do not carry UNIX specific software are likely to be in
High Sierra format.

	Chris Flatters
	cflatter at nrao.edu