Subject: fitsbits and anonFTP on fits.cv.nrao.edu

From: dwells (Don Wells)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 92 14:10:02 EDT

On the 7th of July the Sun-3 named 'fits.cx.nrao.edu' (the workstation
on my desk) was replaced by a SPARC (Sun-4) named 'fits.cv.nrao.edu'.
Many facilities of my computing environment were disrupted by this
change. In particular, during the past 8 weeks,

(1) the 'fitsbits' exploder which is gatewayed to sci.astro.fits and

(2) the anonymous FTP server of archival files of the FITS community

have not been operational.  I believe that 'fitsbits' and the anonFTP
server are operational again.  I expect to transmit copies of the July
and August messages to the 'fitsbits' list within the next few days.

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells at nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277
520 Edgemont Road                                 Fax= +1-804-296-0278
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-2475 USA            78:31.1W, 38:02.2N 

From  freedman at cuba.gsfc.nasa.gov (Immanuel Freedman)
From: freedman at cuba.gsfc.nasa.gov (Immanuel Freedman)
To: fitsbits at NRAO.EDU
Cc: freedman at cuba.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject: BINTABLES or IMAGE extension ?
--text follows this line--
>From freedman Thu Sep 10 12:40:15 1992
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 12:40:09 -0400
From: freedman (Immanuel Freedman)
To: wgas at hypatia
Subject: IMAGE or BINTABLES extensions ?
Cc: ewing at aruba, freedman, kaltenbaugh at aruba, piper at aruba, turpie at aruba
Status: RO

Colleagues
 The COsmic Background Explorer project at NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
would like to distribute released data in FITS format from the National
Space Science Data Center.

 Would our esteemed colleagues prefer to receive the data in BINTABLES or
IMAGE format ?

 We have determined that IMAGE extensions are more effective than BINTABLES
in terms of file size and data access time for our internal use.

 Thank-you for your replies in advance,

 Dr. Immanuel Freedman