Subject: FITS formats

From: freedman at cuba.gsfc.nasa.gov (Immanuel Freedman)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 12:59:41 GMT

>From freedman Thu Sep 17 08:59:01 1992
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 92 08:59:00 -0400
From: freedman (Immanuel Freedman)
To: wgas at hypatia
Subject: FITS formats
Cc: freedman
Status: R

Colleagues

 Thank-you for the many replies I received regarding the BINTABLES or IMAGE
extension issues.

 It seems that the major concern should be the file size and performance and
we at COBE hope to transfer the data from our internal Record Definition
Language files to exactly equivalent FITS files, with format driven by the
data themselves.

 It seems that the WGAS community is willing to accept FITS extensions and
we may choose whatever is expedient.

 Issues of all-sky data exchange standards, the use of FITS for internal data
structures (as opposed to file transfer) and data compression all seem to
be hot topics.

Dr. Immanuel Freedman
(301) 513 7802