Subject: Questions from a FITS novice

From: chris at chrism.demon.co.uk (Chris Marriott)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 19:13:24 +0000

Please excuse me if the questions which follow are inappropriate for this
newsgroup.  I know *nothing* about FITS, but I'd like to.

1.  NASA produce a number of CD-ROMS containing images from space missions.
    These files have a ".IMG" extension and appear to be a text header,
    followed by binary data.  Are these FITS files?

2.  If the answer to the above question is "yes", can anyone give me advice
    on where I could obtain information on the file format?  The specific
    reason I ask is that I am the author of a quite successful "shareware"
    astronomy program for the IBM-PC, running under Microsoft Windows, and
    I'd like to add the ability to display these .IMG files in the same
    way the program can currently display GIF files, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Chris Marriott                           | chris at chrism.demon.co.uk    |
| Warrington, UK                           | BIX: cmarriott              |
|                                          | CIX: cmarriott              |
| Save the whales.  Collect the whole set. | CompuServe: 100113,1140     |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------