Subject: CFITSIO Beta Testers Wanted

From: pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Pence)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 93 11:58:19 EST

CFITSIO Beta Testers Wanted

We now have available a test version of CFITSIO, which is a C version
of the FITSIO subroutine interface for reading and writing files in
FITS format.  We are looking for volunteer beta testers who would be
willing to try using this version for the next few weeks, prior to
the general release.  If you are interested in this, please send
me a mail message, including which type of machine (e.g., SUN, VAX/VMS, etc.)
you will be using.  

CFITSIO is not a complete re-write of FITSIO in C, but rather it
consists of a set of C wrapper routines which sit on top of the Fortran
FITSIO code.  Thus, one must also have the lastest version of the
Fortran FITSIO library (Version 3.31 was released last week) to be able
to use CFITSIO.  CFITSIO was written by Bruce O'Neel here at the
HEASARC and it uses the very useful CFORTRAN library written by
Burkhard Burrow at the U. of Toronto which provides a completely
transparent, machine independent interface between C and FORTRAN
routines.  A copy of the CFORTRAN library is included with the CFITSIO
package.  

William Pence
NASA/GSFC HEASARC
pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
LHEAVX::PENCE