Subject: Opinion on standards (reposting)

From: lfini at sisifo (Luca Fini)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 10:12:39 GMT

[ Article crossposted from sci.astro ]
[ Author was Luca Fini ]
[ Posted on Tue, 16 Mar 1993 08:04:54 GMT ]

Hi everybody.
I've got to make a short presentations on the topic: "Standards 
in Astronomy", and I'd like to know some ideas of scientists
actively working in astronomy on the subject. Here are some of the
topics I'd like to hear about: 
- Is it important to enforce the use of standards? 
- Do you love/hate some of them?
- Do they actually exists? 
- Are they evil or good? 
- Do you think there are areas where they should be introduced? 
- Go to hell you and your standards!
Some areas of interest might be (but not limited to):
data exchange/storage (e.g. FITS); data analysis packages, programming 
languages/environments, graphic presentation packages, remote archive 
access, document formatting, etc., etc.
I think the best way to answer should be via e-mail. I'd be glad to
summarize and post the results.
Cheers,
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Luca Fini                                                              |
| Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri     Tel.   +55 2752 253            |
| L.go E.Fermi, 5                         Fax.:  +55 220039              |
| 50125 Firenze                           e-mail: lfini at arcetri.astro.it |
| Italia                                                                 |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+