Subject: Opinions on standards wanted

From: lfini at sisifo (Luca Fini)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 07:45:39 GMT

[ Article crossposted from sci.astro ]
[ Author was Luca Fini ]
[ Posted on Thu, 11 Mar 1993 10:55:58 GMT ]

Hi everybody.
I've got to make a short presentations on the topic: "Standards 
in Astronomy", and I'd like to know some ideas of scientists
actively working in astronomy on the subject. Here are some of the
questions I'd like to have answers to: Is it important to
enforce the use of standards? Do you love/hate some of them?
Do they actually exists? Are they evil or good? Do you think
there are areas where they should be introduced? Go to hell you and your 
standards?
There is no limit on the kind of standard you may think of (but not be
limited to):
data exchange/storage (e.g. FITS); data analysis packages, programming 
languages/environments, graphic presentation packages, remote archive 
access procedures, etc., etc.
I think the best way to answer should be via e-mail. I'd be glad to
summarize and post the result of this survey.
Cheers,

+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Luca Fini                                                              |
| Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri     Tel.   +55 2752 253            |
| L.go E.Fermi, 5                         Fax.:  +55 220039              |
| 50125 Firenze                           e-mail: lfini at arcetri.astro.it |
| Italia                                                                 |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+