Subject: Reading/writing FO

From: patron at noao.edu
Date: Mon, 24 May 93 17:12:57 MST

Hello.
	My name is Jesus Patron, and I am a graduate student of the University 
of La Laguna (Tenerife, Canary Island, SPAIN). 
	I have being working in solar physics, in the field of heliosismology 
with Dr. Frank Hill at NSO (National Solar Observatory), Tucson,Az. since March
1991.
	I'm really interested in dealing with FITS format images, and I'm 
looking for help in how to read and write FITS images directly in FORTRAN 
language. I'm going to work with the 'INTEL' supercomputer of the Jet 
Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Ca., and I wonder if there is any software 
built for reading and writing FITS images from/to FORTRAN programes.
	I will be very grateful to anyone that could help me in this.
	Thank you very much.
	My e-mail address is:

	"patron at noao.edu"
							Jesus

---

From: pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Pence)
Date: Tue, 25 May 93 09:48:34 EDT

>built for reading and writing FITS images from/to FORTRAN programes.

The FITSIO package is available for reading or writing FITS files
from Fortran or C programs.  FITSIO has been ported to many different
machines, but not specifically to an 'INTEL' supercomputer.   More than
likely, one of the existing FITSIO ports could be used as is, or
with simple modifications, on the INTEL.  The FITSIO code as well
as documentation and example programs can be obtained via
anonymous ftp from:

        tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov   (128.183.8.77)

Type the following commands from the ftp prompt to copy any desired files:

        ftp>  user anonymous    [or just type 'anonymous' if prompted for user]
        Password:               [type your username as a password]
        ftp>  cd pub/fitsio    [to move to the fitsio subdirectory]
        ftp>  ls                [to see a list of the available files]
        ftp>  get read.me       [contains latest information about FITSIO]
        ftp>  get fitsio.doc    [complete user documentation]
        ftp>  get fitsio.tex    [Latex version of the documentation]
        ftp>  get ...           [get any additional desired files]
        ftp>  quit

-Bill Pence