Subject: HEAFITS discussion group

From: pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (William Pence)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 12:44:24 EDT

This is a periodic posting to remind readers of this news group that an
electronic mail listserver called HEAFITS has been set up for the
purpose of discussing issues related to FITS format files in High
Energy Astrophysics (HEA).  This is intended to be a more specialized
group for discussion of HEA-specific FITS issues that would not
necessarily be of interest to the majority of subscribers to the
existing FITSBITS and WGAS mail groups.

To SUBSCRIBE to the HEAFITS group, send an e-mail message to the following 
address:
                   listserv at legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov

in which the body of the mail message contains one line of text:

subscribe heafits Your Name

where 'Your Name' is your actual First and Last names.

To POST a message to this group after you have subscribed, simply send
the message to

                 heafits at legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov

(Note the distinction that you subscribe by sending a message to
listserv at legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov, but that messages to the HEAFITS group
must be sent to heafits at legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov).

There is no strict charter for what topics can be discussed within the
HEAFITS group, but in general, the purpose of this mail distribution
group is to promote the development of standards for FITS files
containing data related to high energy astrophysics.  This includes,
but is not limited to, proposals for standard keyword names, or
standard binary table layouts and column names to be used for different
classes of HEA data.