Subject: Re: FITS keywords definitions - FAQ?

From: bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (BARRY M. SCHLESINGER)
Date: 29 Sep 1993 14:22 EDT

In article <1993Sep29.155652.14869 at ennews.eas.asu.edu>, scowen at wfpc3.la.asu.edu (Paul A. Scowen) writes...
>Is there a document somewhere that can be downloaded (Postscript or TeX) that
>defines the current set of FITS keywords, TABLES included, with their
>definitions (mathematical as well where appropriate) and unit conventions?
>... 
For those who missed the FITS basics and information posting, the 
contents are available by anonymous ftp from nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov, 
directory FITS, file BASICS_INFO.TXT.  This file discusses the basic
FITS documentation, including the NOST Definition of FITS and the NOST
User's Guide to FITS, both of which are available in electronic form
from the same directory. 

>I ask because there's a lot of old "FITS compliant" software running around
>out there that isn't.  Thanks.
> 
I would like to hear about any such software and what the problems 
are.

				Barry Schlesinger
				NSSDC/NOST FITS Support Office