Subject: FITS viewer for Mac?

From: gwc at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Greg F Walz Chojnacki)
Date: 25 Mar 1994 22:05:36 GMT

The subject line says it all: I'm looking for a utility for viewing -- and,
ideally, manipulating, at least rudimentarily, FITS image files.

Thanks.

Greg

---

From: rverscho at isosa2.estec.esa.nl (Rob Verschoor)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 14:16:12 GMT

>ideally, manipulating, at least rudimentarily, FITS image files.

There's no such thing as a 'FITS' viewer. FITS is a convention for formatting 
any kind of data in a transportable format. A FITS viewer would therefore be 
about as meaningful as an 'ISAM' file viewer: not at all. FITS data can be 
anything : spectra, images, whatever. 
What you probably want are packages like IDL or MIDAS (better take IDL) 
which provide facilities for processing spectra etc. and are also 
capable of reading/writing data in FITS format.
If you want to access FITS data yourself, you could use NASA's FITSIO package.
However, this is in Fortran and although various platforms are supported, 
Mac isn't one of them (but maybe this has changed). You get it by 
anonymous ftp to tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov (pub/fitsio3). Good luck...

Rob Verschoor

rverscho at isosa2.estec.esa.nl

5 ........	White (o) to play...
4 ..oooo..
3 oo.**o..
2 **..*o..
1 ..***o..
  abcdefgh