Subject: Correction to FITS Header editor notice

From: mhayden at cc.gettysburg.edu (Mike Hayden)
Date: 25 May 1994 15:01:10 GMT

The Fits Header Editor 

This is a corrected announcement of a new tool that enables users
of Windows to edit FITS headers conveniently.  For those who have
been troubled by incompatibility betewen the FITS files their cameras
produce and the FITS files their image processing programs require,
this is the ticket. An earlier announcement had an ambiguous 
internet address.

The Fits Header Editor (FHE) provides a useful tool to directly
edit the basic FITS header without corrupting the attached data
array.  Using FHE it is possible to change the value of any
keyword in a FITS header, add new keywords and values or delete
lines of the header.  FHE can import a pre-formatted text file
directly into an existing HDU, and features a logging function
which permits selected keywords and their values to be defined
and then written to a disk file for logging or administrative purposes.
Some of these features are available in IRAF for systems that
will support it, but FHE is PC based and runs under Windows. 
With FHE, the ability to edit and manipulate the header of FITS
files of any arbitrary size has been extended to the PC
environment.
 
FHE uses a graphical user interface, is mouse driven and
intuitive in use. FHE takes only minutes to learn and is far
easier to master than a command line oriented system.  Simple
online help is available to guide the new user through the
basics.  A brief documentation file is provided and explains
important details regarding the FHE files and their formats and
supplemental information.  Written as a true Windows application,
the look and feel of FHE provides users with a familiar and
comfortable operating environment.  Its various screens are
visually appealing and use a convenient combination of buttons
and menu bars.
 
FHE should run on any machine capable of running Windows 3.1 or
better. A VGA card is sufficient, but SVGA or better is
preferred, particularly for the spectacular sign-on image which
features the post servicing Space Telescope image of the core of
M100.  Installation is simple and swift using a setup routine
provided with the software.  FHE is distributed freely as
shareware, with a very modest $10 registration fee for single
users.  FHE is available via anonymous ftp at io.cc.gettysburg.edu
in the directory /pub/misc/pc.   Alternatively, the editor can be
loaded via The Gettysburg Gazette BBS at 717-334-0736 (8N1, up to
19.2K) and will be distributed to other popular Internet sites
throughout the summer.  Inquiries can be directed to
mhayden at gettyburg.edu or to M. B. Hayden, P.O. Box 3573,
Gettysburg. PA 17325.