Subject: FITS on MAC/NIH Image mods: Re-Post

From: gaponoff at halcyon.com (Mark Gaponoff)
Date: Mon, 09 May 1994 00:01:54 -0800

I have been working with Dr. Balick at the University of Washington
to develop a Mac based astronomical image processing program.  We
have based our work on modifying NIH Image, a source-code-in-public-
domain medical image processing program.  We have attained some 
success in this effort, and can read various FITS files fine, but it 
has been difficult to keep up with the changes in NIH Image and its
platform, THINK PASCAL.

NIH Image is a full-featured image processing program, but it does
not read FITS.  (A MACRO for FITS is in the NIH package, but it only
works for a very limited fixed-format subset of FITS files.)  Our
modification of NIH Image, called "MyImage", reads arbitrary FITS
headers, plus handles 16 or 32 bit pixels, plus does logarithmic
interpolation.  Our most recent version of Myimage (0.06) is a 
modification of NIH Image version 1.41.

We would like to continue the effort, but could use some help, 
especially with testing and enthusiasm-generation.  Anyone out there 
interested?  

Please reply to this newsgroup, 
or to "gaponoff at halcyon.com".

To those that have replied, Thank you for your attention, and I
hope this can be helpful.