Subject: Latest releases of FITSIO and FTOOLS software

From: William Pence <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 17:19:09 -0400

This is an update announcment about the FITSIO, CFITSIO, and FTOOLS
software that is available via anonymous ftp from the HEASARC (High
Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center) on the
legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov machine.  If you would like to be put on a mail
list for future release announcements, please send an e-mail message to
pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

FITSIO is a library of Fortran subroutines for reading and writing
FITS format files.  The latest version number of FITSIO is 3.4.15;
anyone using earlier versions should consider upgrading (especially
if using versions earlier than 3.4) since there have been a number of
significant improvements in the newer releases.  FITSIO is located
in the /software/fitsio directory on the legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov
anonymous ftp account.

CFITSIO is a set of C wrappers that make it easier to call FITSIO
from C programs.  CFITSIO version 1.01 is available in the
/software/fitsio/cfitsio directory.

FTOOLS is a large package of executable programs for manipulating and
analyzing data files in FITS format.  The FTOOLS programs may be built
either as stand-alone executables or as a package of tasks under IRAF.
The latest 2.9 version of FTOOLS (released in May 1994) is available in
the software/ftools/release directory.  The following documentation
files about FTOOLS (in postscript format) are available in that
directory:

	Develop.v2.9.ps.Z		Developer's Guide to FTOOLS
	Install.v2.9.ps.Z		Installation Guide for FTOOLS
	Miniusers.v2.9.ps.Z		User's Guide for FTOOLS
	Users.v2.9.ps.Z			User's Guide for FTOOLS w/ help pages
	Xselect_Users_Guide_099.ps.Z	User's Guide for XSELECT

The FTOOLS software is in ftools.all.v2.9.tar.Z (a compressed 
TAR file)

The FTOOLS programs can currently be built on the following platforms:
 
	DECstations with Ultrix Operating System
	SPARCstations with SUNOS Operating System
	ALPHA Workstations with OSF/1 version 1.2
	ALPHA Workstations with OpenVMS
	VAXs with VMS
	MODCOMP with REAL/IX Operating System

*NOTE:	Solaris is not supported at this time
	OSF/1 version 1.3 not supported
	OSF/1 version 2.0 requires patch for cfe from DEC

-------------------------------------------------------------------