Subject: How to mount Digitized Sky Survey CDROM???

From: hewett at cfabuh.harvard.edu (Rob Hewett)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 14:38:24 GMT

This question is not a FITS question but I thought some
s.a.f reader might know:

How do you mount a CDROM from STSI's Digitized Sky Survey
on a Sun running either SunOS 4 or 5?  This did not work
on OS 4:

mount -rt hsfs /dev/sr0 /cdrom

I got essentially the same result with a Volume Manager
mounted CD on OS 5.  That is that you can see the directories,
but they all seem to be empty.  And you don't see the
copyright file, which is supposed to be in the base
directory of each CD in the set.

The CD claims to be ISO 9660.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.  Please send email.
I'll post the answer if I ever get it :-)

-Rob hewett at cfa.harvard.edu

---

From: pmurphy at nrao.edu (Pat Murphy)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 19:10:27 GMT

In article <Csxq01.6JM at cfanews.harvard.edu>, hewett at cfabuh.harvard.edu
   (Rob Hewett) writes: 

RH> How do you mount a CDROM from STSI's Digitized Sky Survey
RH> on a Sun running either SunOS 4 or 5?  This did not work
RH> on OS 4:

RH> mount -rt hsfs /dev/sr0 /cdrom

First off, you need a patch under SunOS 4; the included software
installation notes for the "getimage" software on the CDrom set has
instructions on how to do this for various SunOS versions.

Then, you will probably want to get some third party software/freeware to
enable joe user to mount /cdrom, unless you want people to run the
"getimage" software as root (not recommended).  Here at NRAO I've used a
utility called "cdmount" which is part of a general package of mounting
programs called "mntdisk" written by Mike J. Fuller (NASA Lewis Research
Center, mikef at sarah.lerc.nasa.gov according to the manual page).  I'm
willing to make the mntdisk.tar.Z file available via anon ftp if enough
people want it.  Note that the binaries made from this package need to be
made set-uid to root.

There are some hacks needed to get cdmount to be used instead of the
"mount" command; I can provide these to you if needed.

>From your further description (omitted here) it sounds like you might need
the patches.
				- Pat
--
--
=============================================================================
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Scientific Programming Analyst
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                     pmurphy at nrao.edu
  520 Edgemont Road                                     Tel: (804) 296-0372
  Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475                        Fax: (804) 296-0278
                                         web: http://orangutan.cv.nrao.edu/
	"I don't believe in the no-win scenario"  --- James T. Kirk
=============================================================================