Subject: The Role of the NOST in FITS standardization

From: "BARRY M. SCHLESINGER" <BSCHLESINGER at NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 12:43:50 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Greisen has proposed a number of changes to the treatment
of units in the NOST Definition of FITS.
        In preparing the NOST standard, the objective has always been
to codify the existing standard as presented in the FITS papers,
eliminating contradictions and ambiguities.  It has not been to modify
the international standard.  In this context, the issue of units has
been brought before the new Technical Panel because of some comments
from the community that some prescriptions for units in the original
FITS papers had not been reflected in the NOST Definition of FITS,
despite the extensive community review of the drafts of the NOST
Definition of FITS. 
        The Greisen proposals, however, go beyond the original FITS
papers. They include introduction of a new keyword (CUNITn) and
prescriptions for the grammar and length of the unit strings.  Such
proposals go beyond the original FITS papers; they are changes to
FITS.  The mission of the Technical Panel has been to {\em document}
FITS as endorsed by the IAU.  While these issues deserve careful
discussion, the NOST is not the body to act on them.  The appropriate
forums are the IAU FITS Working Group and the regional FITS
committees.  Anything included in the NOST standard must have support
either in the FITS papers or in the community understanding of them as
reflected in practice.  The role of the NOST in the FITS process is to
codify the rules, not to make them. 

				Donald Sawyer
				NOST Secretary

				Barry Schlesinger
				FITS Support Office Coordinator