Subject: A new release of FTOOLS

From: William Pence <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 18:01:29 -0400

FTOOLS Version 3.0 

A new version of the FTOOLS package of programs to manipulate FITS
files is now available.  There are now well over 100 tasks in this
package that perform many different operations on FITS format files.
With this release, users now have the option to build only the "core"
set of FTOOLS that perform generic operations on FITS files, or the
entire set of FTOOLS that includes more specialized tasks for X-ray and
Gamma-ray data analysis.  One new general purpose task available with
this release is called FVERIFY, that will read any FITS file and verify
whether it conforms to the FITS format standard.

As before FTOOLS may be built either as a set of stand-alone executable
programs, or as a package of tasks under IRAF.

How:    Anonymous FTP from legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov
Where:  software/ftools/release/ directory
What:  
        *** FTOOLS Source Code ***
        ftools.all.v3.0.tar.Z  -  Source Code Distribution for all platforms

        *** Reference Data ***
        refdata.v3.0.tar.Z - calibration data needed for X-ray analysis
                             (this is not needed for just the "core" FTOOLS)

        *** Compressed Postscript Documentation ***
        Develop.v3.0.ps.Z    -  Developer's Guide
        Install.v3.0.ps.Z    -  Installation Guide
        Users.v3.0.ps.Z      -  User's Guide
        TechRef.v3.0.ps.Z    -  Complete User's Guide and help pages

Supported Platforms: (See Installation Guide for details)
        unix         ALPHA/OSF, DEC/ULTRIX, SUN/SunOS, MODCOMP/REALIX, 
                     (a beta version for Solaris is also available)

        vms          ALPHA/VMS, VAX/VMS

The FTOOLS package has been developed and is supported by programmers
and scientists at the HEASARC, the High Energy Astrophysics Science
Archive Research Center.  Any installation questions or problems should
be directed to Kent Blackburn, at kent at kentaurus.gsfc.nasa.gov.