Subject: FITS to GIF help please

From: norup at indigo (Anton Norup Soerensen)
Date: 26 Aug 1994 10:31:21 GMT

I would like to know of programs available for converting FITS images
to GIF format. I will also be interested to hear of programs to 
combine three, e.g. B,V,R images to one 'true-colour' GIF image.

Thanks,
Anton Norup Sorensen

---

From: xmosa at vega.pd.astro.it (xmosa)
Date: 26 Aug 1994 12:37:04 GMT

In article <33kg9p$lo at hugin.aau.dk>, norup at indigo (Anton Norup Soerensen) writes:
|>
|>I would like to know of programs available for converting FITS images
|>to GIF format. I will also be interested to hear of programs to 
|>combine three, e.g. B,V,R images to one 'true-colour' GIF image.
|>
|>Thanks,
|>Anton Norup Sorensen
|>

Here is a list of programs/packages that (to my knowledge)
can do the job of converting from FITS to GIF:

xv 3.00 with patches for reading FITS files

fitstopgm in the pbmplus package (I use pbmplus10dec91)

the ImageMagic package

Interactive Data Language (IDL) from RSI inc. (commercial program,
if you have it already available at your Institute)

another way is to display your FITS image with an astronomical
program (e.g. SAOImage/IRAF, MIDAS, Vista, ...) and then grab
the display into a file (several programs can be used to grab the display,
e.g. xpick).

Hope this helps.

Andrea Baruffolo
Osservatorio Astronomico
Padova, Italy

---

From: mlosher at pnet1.pnet.com (mlosher)
Date: 27 Aug 1994 14:43:52 GMT

If it's for MACINTOSH, I can help you. Respond.