Subject: Conversion between OODB and FITS formats

From: kozubal at sst10b.lanl.gov (Andy J Kozubal)
Date: 19 Sep 1994 17:21:50 GMT

Does anyone have any experience using an object-oriented database
(OODB) to store astrophysics data?  Are there any programs or
functions available to convert between OODB formats  and FITS
format?

I just started on a project that will use FITS to store data
from X-ray cameras.  We will eventually have 100's of GBytes
that will be on-line in hundreds of files.  Maintaining
these files seems like a formidable task, so I'm looking for
some tools to help keep things manageable.  One possibility
is to use the organizing capability of an OODB.  I have never used
FITS before, and I am still a novice to OODBs (I do have lots
of experience with relational DB systems).

Thanks,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy Kozubal                    | Mail Stop D440
Phone: (505) 665-7724           | Los Alamos National Laboratory
E-mail: AKozubal at lanl.gov       | Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545
-----------------------------------------------------------------------