Subject: Re: What is sci.astro.fits?

From: dwells at nrao.edu (Don Wells)
Date: 02 Jan 1995 18:02:56 GMT

FITS [Flexible Image Transport System] is the standard data
interchange and archival format of the worldwide astronomy community.
The Feb-1992 Call-For-Votes to create USENET newsgroup sci.astro.fits
stated that it will be unmoderated, and that it ".. will provide a
forum for the discussion of all topics concerning the FITS [Flexible
Image Transport System] data format..". For further information about
FITS, see http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/ (or ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/).

--
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA

---

From: bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Barry M. Schlesinger)
Date: 3 Jan 1995 08:56 EDT

In article <789001006snz at alpiar.demon.co.uk>, Ronald at alpiar.demon.co.uk writes...
>In article <steckner.14.000D032A at hookup.net>
>           steckner at hookup.net "Thomas Steckner" writes:
> 
>> >Sorry to be thick but I came across this group in my listing
>> >and I can't work out what it is from the few postings?
>> >-- 
>> >Kevin William West
>> >Resident Caulkhead
>> >Isle of Wight
>> >
>> I agree
>> Me too!
> 
>-- 
>Ronald Alpiar

The full two-part FITS basics and information posting should have 
appeared at your sites shortly after December 28.  It was posted with 
a one-month expiration.  If it is gone from your site, it can be found 
via
ftp://nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits  (VAX) - prime site
ftp://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/fits (accessible via Mosaic)
	a copy, not a mirror

at all times, in the file basics_info.txt.  And if it is already gone
from your site, you might want to consult with your sysadmin about the
expiration times for FAQs and other periodic informational postings.
If it never appeared, let me know. 
				Barry Schlesinger
				NSSDC/NOST FITS Support Office