Subject: FITSview (0.4.0) for MS Windows Available

From: bcotton at nrao.edu (Bill Cotton)
Date: 20 Jan 1995 15:55:33 GMT

FITSview (0.4.0) for MS Windows
			   20 January 1995

   This is to announce the availability of an updated version of the
beta release of FITSview for MS Windows.  This release includes the
new features of optionally loading an image upside down and logging
selected or fitted pixel positions in a text file.  Many small bugs
were fixed and the program was translated from c++ to c to improve
its reliability.

   This is a FITS image viewer for Windows which features manipulation
of the display (brightness, contrast, pseudo color), zoom and scroll,
blinking images for comparison, displaying 3-D images as a "movie",
and determining the celestial position and brightness of features in
the image.  Celestial positions are determined using world coordinate
projections (WCS).  All defined FITS data types are supported (8, 16,
32 bit integers and 32 and 64 bit IEEE), as are blanked pixels.  Two
and three dimensional simple FITS images are supported.

   FITSview runs on Windows 3.1 or later and uses any multicolor (or
multiple gray level) display although 256 color displays give the best
results.  Extensive online documentation is included. 

   FITSview for Windows is available at no cost via anonymous ftp as
the two files:

    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/fitsv040.txt
    ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/os-support/ms-windows/fitsview/fitsv040.zip

Installation is described in file fitsv040.txt.

Implementations under X-windows and MacIntosh are under consideration.

bcotton at nrao.edu

--
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA