Subject: Downloading w/ Netscape (was Re: Where is there a FITs ftp site?)

From: adam at csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Adam Bernstein)
Date: 10 May 1995 22:21:30 GMT

In article <3oocue$3i8 at apollo.albany.net>, Peter Barvoets <zardoz at albany.net> writes:
[...]
|> I have a question perhaps you can help me with.  When I try to get a fits 
|> image from a perticular site, the "image" comes as a text of odd 
|> characters, it doesn't give me the opportunity to download it directly to 
|> disk. I use Netscape for this and usually, when retrieving an image, 
|> netscape allows me to download the image to disk where I can then view it 
|> using l-view or whatever. since netscape prints out the file for a fits 
|> image as if it were text, I cannot view the image using the fitsviewer I 
|> have.  
|> 

You need to go to the File menu in Netscape, choose "Save next link as...",
and then tell it where to store the file.  Then click the link to the image
you want to download, and it will be saved directly to disk.

Alternatively, if the FITS files all have .fits or some such as the extension,
you can tell Netscape to automagically call up your external FITS viewer when
you download one of them.  You'll need to add a MIME type for FITS, with the
chosen viewer as the application -- check your documentation.

	Adam

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Bernstein                           Jet Propulsion Lab
Avionic Equipment Section,               MS 198-235
  Tracking Sensors Group                 4800 Oak Grove Dr.
http://dragon.jpl.nasa.gov/~adam/        Pasadena, CA 91109
adam at dragon.jpl.nasa.gov                 Phone: 818 354-0783
  or adam.c.bernstein at jpl.nasa.gov       FAX:   818 393-6105
-------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: thompson at orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov (William Thompson)
Date: 14 May 1995 15:11:13 GMT

>you want to download, and it will be saved directly to disk.

I think that the "Save next link as..." menu item disappeared after version 1.0
of Netscape.  At least it wasn't in some of the beta versions I tried, and I
haven't checked the new version 1.1.

In any case, another way to force Netscape (or Mosaic) to download a file is to
hold down the shift key while clicking.

Bill Thompson