Subject: FITS checksum proposal - new draft

From: seaman at noao.edu (Rob Seaman)
Date: 18 May 1995 21:28:18 GMT

A new draft of the FITS checksum proposal, (dated 16 May 1995) is
available from the directory ftp://iraf.noao.edu/misc/checksum, where
you will find the following files:

    README                original announcement with examples

    checksum.ps           FITS Checksum Proposal - current draft
    checksum.ps.941220    original draft

    stb249851.fits        FITS file w/ CHECKSUM and DATASUM keywords

    sum32.tar             simple C program to calculate the 32 bit
                          1's complement checksum and to ASCII
                          encode the checksum (w/ SunOS binary)

    FITS.sum.example      pseudo FITS header with CHECKSUM keyword
    FITS.sum.zeroed       same header with the checksum zeroed

    RFC                   internet RFC documents referenced

The text has been rearranged for clarity, and the discussion expanded
to better cover the per-HDU scope of the checksum, the ASCII encoding
algorithm, and the method for incrementally updating the checksum.

Thanks to Barry Schlesinger and Arnold Rots for their helpful comments.

Rob Seaman
Bill Pence

--
Rob Seaman: seaman at noao.edu/520-318-8248    http://iraf.noao.edu/~seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatories    PGP: 98 8D 8B 49 74 9A 41 88
950 North Cherry Avenue, Tucson AZ 85719         3A 43 87 54 51 BF 30 4B
-- 
Rob Seaman: seaman at noao.edu/602-325-9248
National Optical Astronomy Observatories
950 North Cherry Avenue, Tucson AZ 85719