Subject: FITS filename extensions: FIT vs FTS

From: svoynick at netcom.com (Stan Voynick)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 19:20:18 GMT

In article <3or1el$qp7 at post.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
William Thompson <thompson at orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>My own HTTP server is configured to serve any files with the extension ".fts"
>as "image/x-fits" and any files with the extensions ".fits" or ".fit" as
>"application/x-fits".
>
>Bill Thompson

On a related subject, but off in a different direction:

This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask.  Is there a common
usage convention for 3-char filename extensions for FITS files (e.g. on
PC's)?  We are using "FTS" for files which are only images (single image
with NAXIS=2 or multiple image "movies" with NAXIS=3) with no extensions
or anything "special".  But elsewhere, I also see "FIT" used (e.g. as the 
filename default in FITSView for Windows...). 

Are these, FTS and FIT - commonly used for different purposes, or 
relatively interchangeably?  If they're interchangeable, is one or the 
other more common?

I've checked through the spec, the user's guide, and some other 
resources, but most of them try to stay platform-independent.  Comments 
or pointers to information?

                              - Stan V -

---

From: leb at clark.net (Lee E. Brotzman)
Date: 12 May 1995 00:53:44 -0400

>filename default in FITSView for Windows...). 

For the CD-ROMs I produced for th Astronomical Data Center, and the CD-ROMs I
am currently working on for the American Astronomical Society, I use 'FIT' as
the extension for FITS files.  I've been using this convention for about five
years now, but don't claim it as a precedent.  Why FIT?  Well when I downloaded 
a FITS file from a Unix box, where the extension is almost always 'fits', to a
DOS box, the 's' just got dropped, leaving 'FIT' on the poor little DOS box.
CD-ROMs using ISO 9660 Data Interchange Level 1 use DOS-style 8.3 file names
(actually the names are even a little *more* restrictive than DOS), so the
'FIT' stayed.

The best reason to use 'FIT', rather than 'FTS' is that 'FIT' is pronouncable:
"That FITS file is FIT for use."  'FTS' isn't pronouncable: "I'm having FITS
trying to say F-T-S."  ;-)

-- 
-- Lee E. Brotzman                    E-mail: leb at clark.net
-- Advanced Data Solutions            Phone : 301-776-0324
-- "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
--  the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."  --- Calvin, 1990

---

From: "Julian Roche" <trajan at post.aladdin.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 May 95 21:32:42 GMT

On 12 May 1995 00:53:44 -0400, 

>trying to say F-T-S."  ;-)
Lee (and anyone else). Please help. Newbie! I am trying to find information 
on acclerations/distance travelled for spacecraft. Can you advise on an 
appropriate newsgroup? Is there anywhere to discuss the technical issues of 
spaceflight?